Eka Padasana (one foot pose in yoga) is a part of the Balancing group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on strengthening the body and increasing brain functionality. In this article, we’ll cover how to do Eka Padasana, its benefits, breathing pattern, and precautions.
How to do Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga
- Stand relaxed, with the feet together.
- Raise the arms directly above the head and interlock the fingers with the palms together.
- Bend forward slowly from the hips, keeping the trunk, head and arms in a straight line and transferring the weight onto the right leg.
- Simultaneously raise the left leg straight back, keeping it in line with the trunk.
- The body should pivot from the right hip joint.
- In the final position the left leg, trunk, head and arms are all in one straight, horizontal line. The right leg is straight and vertical.
- Focus the gaze on the hands.
- Hold the final position for as long as is comfortable and then, keeping the arms, back and leg aligned, return to the upright position.
- Slowly lower the arms and return to the starting position.
- Repeat the movement, raising the right leg back.
Breathing pattern while doing Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga
- Inhale while raising the arms.
- Exhale while bending to assume the final position.
- Breathe normally in the final position.
- Inhale while returning to the upright position.
- Exhale while lowering the arms.
Sequence of doing Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga
- This asana should be preceded or followed by a backward bending asana such as makarasana.
- This posture may be used as a preliminary practice to bakasana.
Benefits of Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga
- This asana strengthens the arms, wrists, back, hips and leg muscles.
- It helps to develop muscular coordination, nervous balance and concentration.
Precautions while doing Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga
- People with lower back problems, heart problems or high blood pressure should not do this asana.
Balancing Yoga Poses SeriesEka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga is a part of the balancing yoga poses series. The balancing yoga poses help to strengthen your hamstrings, calves, quads, glutes, and abs. These also increase brain functionality. For relief of excessive tension these practices should be held for as long as comfortable. According to science, balancing is linked to a longer lifespan. Balancing asanas improve muscle coordination and posture, inducing physical and nervous balance, and stilling unconscious movement. This conserves energy and achieves grace and fluidity of motion.
List of Balancing Yoga Poses
- Eka Pada Pranamasana – One-Legged Prayer Pose In Yoga
- Natavarasana – Lord Krishna’s Pose In Yoga
- Garudasana – Eagle Pose In Yoga
- Tandavasana – Lord Shiva’s Dance In Yoga
- Saral Natarajasana – Preparatory Lord Shiva’s Pose In Yoga
- Natarajasana – Lord Shiva’s Pose In Yoga
- Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga
- Bakasana – Crane Pose In Yoga
- Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana – Raised Hand To Big Toe Pose In Yoga
- Merudandasana – Spinal Column Pose In Yoga
- Niralamba Paschimottanasana – Unsupported Back Stretching Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Padma Padottanasana – Half Lotus Leg Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana – Half Lotus Forward Bending In Yoga
- Vatayanasana – Flying Horse Pose In Yoga
- Pada Angushthasana – Tiptoe Pose In Yoga
- Baka Dhyanasana – Patient Crane Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Baka Dhyanasana – One-Legged Crane Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Hasta Bhujasana – Two Hands And Arms Pose In Yoga
- Eka Hasta Bhujasana – Single Hand And Arm Pose In Yoga
- Hamsasana – Swan Pose In Yoga
- Santolanasana – Balancing pose In Yoga
- Vashishthasana – Sage Vashishtha’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga. This pose is classified under intermediate yoga poses and has a multitude of benefits. Be mindful of the precautions while doing Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga and preferably learn to do this pose in presence of a trained expert.
Articles related to Eka Padasana – One Foot Pose In Yoga
The following articles are recommended for you. Apart from these, do read The Basics of Yoga, and eight limbs of yoga.
Leave a Reply