Spinal Twisting Yoga Poses are important for spinal health. Every practice should include at least one Yoga pose for the spine, preferably following the forward and backward bending postures.
On the emotional and psychic levels, controlled twisting and untwisting represent a means of managing the knots and problems we encounter.
These yoga asanas or yoga poses give insight and inspire a systematic approach to untying the tangled knots of life. This series ‘Spinal Twisting Yoga poses’ is mentioned in the book ‘Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha’ by Swami Satyananda Saraswati under the Intermediate asanas. In this article, we will be learning about all the asanas mentioned in the Spinal Twisting yoga poses, the general benefits and precautions of this series.
Benefits of Yoga Poses for the Spine
- The twist imposed on the spine and the whole trunk exercises the muscles, makes the spinal column more flexible and stimulates the spinal nerves.
- It also has a strong influence on the abdominal muscles, alternately stretching and compressing them as the body twists from one direction to the other.
- Most of the spinal twist asanas enhance the pranic flow in the samana region, around the navel. This nourishes organs such as the pancreas, kidneys, stomach, small intestines, liver and gallbladder, relieves associated disorders and rejuvenates the tissues generally.
- The samana region is also related to manipura chakra, a plexus of major nadis or pranic channels, supplying the whole body. These asanas therefore have a strong effect on total health and vitality.
Precautions While Doing Spinal Twisting Yoga Asanas / Yoga Poses
- Beginners must be careful not to twist the trunk more than flexibility will allow.
- During pregnancy, meru vakrasana is the only asana recommended from this group.
- In general, also carefully observe the specific contra-indications for each practice.
- Right-handed people will find these asanas are easily learned with the right side leading. They should then be practised with the left side leading as a counterbalance.
List of Yoga Poses for the spine
- Meru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist In Yoga
- Bhu Namanasana – Spinal Twist Prostration Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Matsyendrasana – Half Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Parivritti Janu Sirshasana – Spiralled Head To Knee Pose In Yoga