Meditation is a fundamental aspect of yoga, to be practiced at higher stages of yoga. It’s about training in awareness and getting a healthy sense of perspective. There are many ways in which people perceive meditation. According to Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, “An unbroken flow of knowledge to that object is Dhyana (Meditation)”. We’ll be discussing Meditation postures in this article. These are postures that will help you meditate.
Also read – The Magic of Meditation , What Should You Think While Meditating?
Meditation postures allow the practitioner to sit for extended periods of time without moving the body and without discomfort. Only when the body has been steady and still for some time will meditation be experienced, to keep the mind steady, we have to keep the body steady. To get into deep meditation, the spinal column should be straight and very few asanas can satisfy this condition.
Benefits of Meditation Asanas or Meditation Postures
- The meditation asanas hold the body in a steady position without conscious effort.
- They keep the spinal cord straight maximizing the blood supply to the brain.
- They keep us awake and alert and help concentrate with a one-pointed mind.
Precautions while doing Meditation Asanas or Meditation Postures
- When sitting in meditation postures, program the mind with suggestions like, “I am as steady as a rock” or “I am becoming motionless like a statue.” This way the asana will quickly become steady and, after a while, will be comfortable for extended periods of time.
- Get out of the posture if it causes too much inconvenience.
- Gradually, increase the time of sitting in a meditation posture.
List of Meditation Asanas or Meditation Postures in Yoga
The following is a list of meditation postures in Yoga.
- Sukhasana – Easy Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Padmasana – Half Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Padmasana – Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Siddhasana – Accomplished Pose For Men In Yoga
- Siddha Yoni Asana – Accomplished Pose For Women In Yoga
- Swastikasana – Auspicious Pose In Yoga
- Dhyana Veerasana – Hero’s Meditation Pose In Yoga
Leave a Reply