Makarasana also known as crocodile pose is a relaxation pose mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on releasing the tension in all the muscles of the body consciously. It is a key relaxation posture that is also done before you do backward bending poses in yoga.
How to do Crocodile Pose In Yoga – Makarasana
- Lie flat on the stomach.
- Raise the head and shoulders and rest the chin in the palms of the hands with the elbows on the floor.
- Keep the elbows together for a more pronounced arch to the spine.
- Separate the elbows slightly to relieve excess pressure on the neck.
- In makarasana the effect is felt at two points: the neck and the lower back. If the elbows are too far in front, tension will be felt in the neck; if they are drawn too close to the chest, tension will be felt more in the lower back.
- Adjust the position of the elbows so that these two points are equally balanced. The ideal position is when the whole spine is equally relaxed.
- Relax the whole body and close the eyes.
- After some time, again become aware of the body and surroundings, and gently and smoothly release the posture.
Breathing pattern while doing Crocodile Pose In Yoga – Makarasana
- Natural and rhythmic
Benefits of doing Crocodile Pose In Yoga – Makarasana
- This asana is helpful in lower back pain, releases tension.
Relaxation Postures In Yoga
Relaxation postures or poses for relaxation in Yoga are extremely crucial parts of every yoga practice. They should be performed before and after the asana session and at any time when the body becomes tired. Crocodile Pose In Yoga - Makarasana is a part of the relaxation postures in yoga.
List of Relaxation Asanas or Relaxation Postures in Yoga
These are the main relaxation asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” are:
- Corpse pose – Shavasana
- Reverse corpse pose – Advasana
- Superior posture – Jyestikasana
- Crocodile pose – Makarasana
- Flapping fish pose – Matsya Kridasana
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Crocodile Pose In Yoga - Makarasana easily, its benefits, and precautions. This pose can be easily done by beginners. To move to a more advanced level, you can explore intermediate level yoga poses.