Vajrasana group of asanas or poses constitute 16 important poses in Yoga. These are largely in the beginner’s group of poses with Vajrasana being the core in this entire group. The vajra or thunderbolt is said to be the weapon of Indra, king of the devas or gods, just as the mind is the king of all the senses.
Vajrasana is highly thought of as a meditation posture in many cultures throughout the world. Vajra is also the major nadi directly connected with the genito-urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body. There are 16 poses in this group.
The poses largely involve the practitioner sitting on the heels with the calves beneath the thighs. As a beginner, it’s also recommended to do this for 3-4 minutes and not over-exert while doing Vajrasana. In this article, we will discuss the Vajrasana group of asanas, the benefits of Vajrasana, the list of the Vajrasana group and certain precautions practitioners should take while doing it.
Benefits of Vajrasana Group of Asanas
- Control of vajra nadi leads to sublimation and control of sexual energy.
- The vajrasana series is therefore very beneficial for the reproductive as well as digestive organs.
- It is also reasonably easy to perform.
Precautions of Vajrasana Group of Asanas
- Do not practise vajrasana and other static asanas in this series until the ankles and knees are sufficiently flexible.
- Vajrasana is not advisable in osteoarthritis, or in pregnancy when extra weight can overload the knee joints.
- Carefully observe the contra-indications given for individual asanas.
The asanas included in Vajrasana Group of Asanas
- Vajrasana – Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
- Ananda Madirasana – Intoxicating Bliss Pose In Yoga
- Padadhirasana – Breath Balancing Pose In Yoga
- Bhadrasana – Gracious Pose In Yoga
- Simhasana – Lion Pose In Yoga
- Simhagarjanasana – Roaring Lion Pose In Yoga
- Veerasana – Hero’s Pose In Yoga
- Marjariasana – Cat Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Vyaghrasana – Tiger Pose In Yoga
- Shashankasana – Pose of Moon In Yoga
- Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose
- Naman Pranamasana – Prostration Pose In Yoga
- Ashwa Sanchalasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
- Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
- Supta Vajrasana – Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga