Matsya Kridasana also known as the flapping fish pose is a relaxation posture mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on releasing the tension in all the muscles of the body consciously.
How to do Flapping Fish Pose In Yoga – Matsya Kridasana
- Lie on the stomach with the fingers interlocked under the head. Bend the left leg sideways and bring the left knee close to the ribs.
- The right leg should remain straight.
- Swivel the arms to the left and rest the left elbow near the left knee.
- Rest the right side of the head on the crook of the right arm, or a little further down the arm for more comfort. Relax in the final pose and, after some time, change sides. This position resembles a flapping fish.
- After some time, again become aware of the body and surrounding, and gently and smoothly release the posture.
Breathing pattern while doing Flapping Fish Pose In Yoga – Matsya Kridasana
- Normal and relaxed in the static pose.
Duration of Flapping Fish Pose In Yoga – Matsya Kridasana
Practise this asana for as long as comfortable on both sides. It may also be used for sleeping and resting.
Benefits of doing Flapping Fish Pose In Yoga – Matsya Kridasana
- This asana stimulates digestive peristalsis.
- It relieves sciatic pain by relaxing the nerves in the legs.
- People for whom the practice of forward bending asanas is not recommended may practise matsya kridasana as a counterpose after backward bending asanas.
- It relaxes tension in the perineum.
- In the later months of pregnancy, lying on the back may cause pressure over major veins and block the circulation. In such circumstances, this posture is ideal for relaxing, sleeping or practising yoga nidra. The bent knee and the head may be supported on a pillow for further comfort.
Relaxation Postures In Yoga
Relaxation postures or poses for relaxation in Yoga are extremely crucial parts of every yoga practice. They should be performed before and after the asana session and at any time when the body becomes tired. Matsya Kridasana - Flapping Fish Pose In Yoga is a part of the relaxation postures in yoga.
List of Relaxation Asanas or Relaxation Postures in Yoga
These are the main relaxation asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” are:
- Corpse pose – Shavasana
- Reverse corpse pose – Advasana
- Superior posture – Jyestikasana
- Crocodile pose – Makarasana
- Flapping fish pose – Matsya Kridasana
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Matsya Kridasana - Flapping Fish Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions. This pose can be easily done by beginners. To move to a more advanced level, you can explore intermediate level yoga poses.