Ushtrasana in yoga is also known as the camel pose. It is a beginners group pose and is a part of the Vajrasana group of asanas. Ushtrasana is also mentioned in the ancient Hath Yogic textbooks like “Hatha Yoga Pradipika” and “Gheranda Samhita”. It is very beneficial for the reproductive as well as digestive organs and is also reasonably easy to perform. In this article, we’ll discuss how to do Ushtrasana, the benefits of Ushtrasana, breathing patterns while doing Ushtrasana, its various variations, precautions, and a note for yoga practitioners.
How to do Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
In the following steps, we’ll explain how to do the Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga.
- Sit in vajrasana.
- Stand on the knees with the arms at the sides.
- The knees and feet should be together, but may be separated if this is more comfortable.
- Lean backward, slowly reaching for the right heel with the right hand and then the left heel with the left hand.
- Do not strain.
- Push the hips forward, keeping the thighs vertical, and bend the head and spine backward as far as is comfortable.
- Relax the whole body, especially the back muscles, into the stretch.
- The weight of the body should be evenly supported by the legs and arms.
- The arms should anchor the shoulders to maintain the arch of the back.
- Remain in the final position for as long as is comfortable.
- Return to the starting position by slowly releasing the hands from the heels one at a time.
Breathing pattern while doing Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
Breathing pattern is extremely critical while doing any yoga pose. The following breathing pattern is recommended while doing the Ushtrasana.
- The breathing pattern should be Normal.
- Do not try to breathe deeply because the chest is already stretched.
Practice note: It is important that this asana is followed by a forward bending asana, such as paschimottanasana, to release any tension in the back.
The most convenient counterpose is shashankasana since it may be performed immediately from vajrasana without unnecessary body movement.
Precautions of Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga:
Ushtrasana should not be done by people with severe back ailments such as lumbago. It is also recommended to not attempt this asana without the guidance of a competent teacher.
Benefits of doing Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
- Ushtrasana is beneficial for the digestive and reproductive systems. It stretches the stomach and intestines, alleviating constipation.
- Backward bend of Ushtrasana loosens up the vertebrae and stimulates the spinal nerves, relieving backache, rounded back and drooping shoulders.
- The overall posture of the body is improved. The front of the neck gets fully stretched, toning the organs in this region and regulating the thyroid gland.
- Ushtrasana is also helpful for people suffering from asthma.
- To begin with this asana may be practised with the balls of the feet on the floor.
- To accentuate the asana, the right heel may be grasped with the left hand and the left heel with the right hand.
Vajrasana Group of AsanasUshtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga is a part of the Vajrasana Group of Asanas. The vajra or thunderbolt is said to be the weapon of Indra, king of the devas or gods, just as the mind is the king of all the senses. Vajra is also the major nadi directly connected with the genito-urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body.
The following are the 16 poses in the Vajrasana group of asanas.
- Vajrasana – Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
- Ananda Madirasana – Intoxicating Bliss Pose In Yoga
- Padadhirasana – Breath Balancing Pose In Yoga
- Bhadrasana – Gracious Pose In Yoga
- Simhasana – Lion Pose In Yoga
- Simhagarjanasana – Roaring Lion Pose In Yoga
- Veerasana – Hero’s Pose In Yoga
- Marjariasana – Cat Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Vyaghrasana – Tiger Pose In Yoga
- Shashankasana – Pose of Moon In Yoga
- Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose
- Naman Pranamasana – Prostration Pose In Yoga
- Ashwa Sanchalasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
- Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
- Supta Vajrasana – Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
This is meant to help all beginners in yoga with Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga. We hope you found this article on Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga useful. It is meant to explain how to do the Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Leave a Reply