Ardha Ushtrasana in yoga is also known as the half camel pose. It is a beginners group pose and is a part of the Vajrasana group of asanas. It is derived from Ushtrasana or the full camel pose. Ardha Ushtrasana is also mentioned in the ancient Hath Yogic textbooks like “Hatha Yoga Pradipika” and “Gheranda Samhita”. It is very beneficial for the reproductive as well as digestive organs and is also reasonably easy to perform. In this article, we’ll discuss how to do the pose in simple steps, the benefits of Ardha Ushtrasana, breathing patterns while doing Ardha Ushtrasana, its various variations, precautions, and a note for yoga practitioners.
How to do Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
In the following simple steps, we’ll explain how to do the pose.
- Sit in vajrasana.
- Move the knees apart and the ankles to the side of the buttocks.
- Stand up on the knees with the arms at the sides.
- Keep the feet flat behind the body.
- Stretch the arms sideways and raise them to shoulder level.
- Do not strain in any way.
- Twist to the right, reach back with the right hand and hold the left heel or ankle.
- Simultaneously, stretch the left arm in front ofthe head so that the hand is at eyebrow level.
- The head should be slightly back with the eyes gazing at the raised hand.
- Push the hips forward in the final position and keep the thighs vertical.
- Hold this position while comfortable, retaining the gaze on the left hand.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side to complete one round.
- Practise 3 to 5 rounds.
Breathing pattern while doing Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
Breathing pattern is extremely critical while doing any yoga pose. The following breathing pattern is recommended while doing the Ardha Ushtrasana.
- Inhale while stretching the arms sideways.
- Exhale while twisting to the side.
- Hold the breath out or breathe normally in the final position .
- Inhale while bringing the arms back to shoulder level.
- Exhale while releasing the arms.
Precautions of Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
Ardha Ushtrasana should not be done by people with severe back ailments.
Benefits of doing Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
Ardha Ushtrasana has similar benefits as ushtrasana, but at a reduced level.
- Ardha Ushtrasana is beneficial for the digestive and reproductive systems. It stretches the stomach and intestines, alleviating constipation.
- Ardha Ushtrasana helps loosen the vertebrae, stimulates the spinal nerves, relieves backache, rounded back, and drooping shoulders. It helps in improving the posture.
- It helps in regulating the thyroid gland.
- It is also helpful for people suffering from asthma.
- A simpler variation of Ardha Ushtrasana is to place the right hand on the right heel and the left hand on the left heel. This posture also becomes easier if the heels are raised by balancing on the balls of the feet.
- After twisting, the outstretched arm may be raised above the head to a vertical position. The head should be held back with the eyes gazing at the raised hand.
Vajrasana Group of AsanasArdha Ushtrasana - Half Camel Pose In Yoga is a part of the Vajrasana Group of Asanas. The vajra or thunderbolt is said to be the weapon of Indra, king of the devas or gods, just as the mind is the king of all the senses. Vajra is also the major nadi directly connected with the genito-urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body.
The following are the 16 poses in the Vajrasana group of asanas.
- Vajrasana – Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
- Ananda Madirasana – Intoxicating Bliss Pose In Yoga
- Padadhirasana – Breath Balancing Pose In Yoga
- Bhadrasana – Gracious Pose In Yoga
- Simhasana – Lion Pose In Yoga
- Simhagarjanasana – Roaring Lion Pose In Yoga
- Veerasana – Hero’s Pose In Yoga
- Marjariasana – Cat Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Vyaghrasana – Tiger Pose In Yoga
- Shashankasana – Pose of Moon In Yoga
- Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose
- Naman Pranamasana – Prostration Pose In Yoga
- Ashwa Sanchalasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
- Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
- Supta Vajrasana – Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
This is meant to help all beginners in yoga with Ardha Ushtrasana - Half Camel Pose In Yoga. We hope you found this article on Ardha Ushtrasana - Half Camel Pose In Yoga useful. It is meant to explain how to do the Ardha Ushtrasana - Half Camel Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.