Shashank Bhujangasana in yoga is also known as the striking cobra pose. It is a combination of two poses – Shashankasana (pose of the moon or hare pose) and Bhujangasana (cobra pose). It is a beginners group pose and is a part of the Vajrasana group of asanas. It is also mentioned in the ancient Hath Yogic textbooks like “Hatha Yoga Pradipika” and “Gheranda Samhita”. It is very beneficial for the reproductive as well as digestive organs and is also reasonably easy to perform. In this article, we’ll discuss how to do Shashank Bhujangasana, the benefits of Shashank Bhujangasana, breathing patterns while doing Shashank Bhujangasana, its various variations, precautions, and a note for yoga practitioners.
How to do Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga
In the following steps, we’ll explain how to do the Shashank Bhujangasana.
- Get in the starting position for marjari-asana.
- Lower the buttocks onto the heels, moving into shash ankasana with the arms outstretched in front of the shoulders.
- Then, to come into bhujangasana without moving the position of the hands, slowly move the chest forward, sliding it just above the floor until it is in line with the hands. Move the chest further forward and then upward, as the arms straighten, and lower the pelvis to the floor. Ideally, the nose and chest should just brush the surface of the floor as the body moves forward like the movement of a snake. Do not strain to achieve this.
- In the final position, the arms should be straight, the back arched and the head raised as in bhujangasana, even if the navel does not touch the floor.
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Slowly raise the buttocks and move backwards, keeping the arms straight, returning to shashankasana.
- This is one round.
- Relax the whole body for a short time before starting another round.
- Practice 5 to 7 rounds.
Breathing pattern while doing Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga
The following breathing pattern is recommended while doing the Shashank Bhujangasana.
- Inhale on the forward movement.
- Hold the breath for a few seconds in the final position.
- Exhale while returning to shashankasana.
Precautions of Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga
Shashank Bhujangasana is not to be performed by people with very high blood pressure, slipped disc, or those who suffer from vertigo. People suffering from peptic ulcer, hernia, intestinal tuberculosis or hyperthyroidism should also not practise this asana without the guidance of a competent teacher.
Benefits of doing Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Shashank bhujangasana gives similar benefits to bhujangasana and shashankasana. However, the benefits of the latter postures come from maintaining the final position, whereas shashank bhujangasana acts mainly by alternately flexing the spine backward and forward.
- This asana gently tones the male and female reproductive organs, alleviates menstrual disorders and is an excellent post-natal asana, strengthening and tightening the abdominal and pelvic region. It tones and improves the functioning of the liver, kidneys and other visceral organs. It also strengthens the back muscles.
Practice note :
- The hand position should not change throughout the entire practice.
Vajrasana Group of AsanasShashank Bhujangasana - Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga is a part of the Vajrasana Group of Asanas. The vajra or thunderbolt is said to be the weapon of Indra, king of the devas or gods, just as the mind is the king of all the senses. Vajra is also the major nadi directly connected with the genito-urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body.
The following are the 16 poses in the Vajrasana group of asanas.
- Vajrasana – Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
- Ananda Madirasana – Intoxicating Bliss Pose In Yoga
- Padadhirasana – Breath Balancing Pose In Yoga
- Bhadrasana – Gracious Pose In Yoga
- Simhasana – Lion Pose In Yoga
- Simhagarjanasana – Roaring Lion Pose In Yoga
- Veerasana – Hero’s Pose In Yoga
- Marjariasana – Cat Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Vyaghrasana – Tiger Pose In Yoga
- Shashankasana – Pose of Moon In Yoga
- Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose
- Naman Pranamasana – Prostration Pose In Yoga
- Ashwa Sanchalasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
- Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
- Supta Vajrasana – Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
This is meant to help all beginners in yoga with Shashank Bhujangasana - Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga. We hope you found this article on Shashank Bhujangasana - Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga useful. It is meant to explain how to do the Shashank Bhujangasana - Striking Cobra Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.