Ashwa Sanchalanasana in yoga is also known as the equestrian pose. It is a beginners group pose and is a part of the Vajrasana group of asanas. Ashwa Sanchalanasana is also mentioned in the ancient Hath Yogic textbooks like “Hatha Yoga Pradipika” and “Gheranda Samhita”. It is very beneficial for the reproductive as well as digestive organs and is also reasonably easy to perform. In this article, we’ll discuss how to do Ashwa Sanchalanasana, the benefits of Ashwa Sanchalanasana, breathing patterns while doing Ashwa Sanchalanasana, its various variations, precautions, and a note for yoga practitioners.
How to do Ashwa Sanchalanasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
In the following steps, we’ll explain how to do the Ashwa Sanchalanasana.
- Sit in vajrasana.
- Stand up on the knees with the knees and ankles slightly apart and the arms by the sides.
- Starting with the right side, take a big step fotward, placing the right foot firmly on the floor so that the thigh is horizontal and the ankle is before or directly under the knee.
- This is the starting position. Centre yourself and inhale deeply.
- Exhale and lunge fotward smoothly, transferring the body weight onto the right foot.
- The left leg becomes stretched back fully as the trunk comes forward, with the back straight.
- Do not strain. Depending on flexibility, the fingertips or palms may touch the floor, or bend forward slightly so that the fingertips reach the floor.
- In the final posture, the right foot, both hands, left knee and toes support the body. The back is slightly arched and the head faces forward.
- To release the posture, inhale and roll the body weight back smoothly, centering in the starting position.
- This is one round. Continue with the forward and backward lunges on this side.
- After practising on one side, again stand on both knees, return to vajrasana and relax.
- Stand on both knees, take a big step forward with the left foot into the starting position and practise an equal number of rounds on this side.
- Practise up to 1 0 rounds on each side.
Breathing pattern while doing Ashwa Sanchalanasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
Breathing pattern is extremely critical while doing any yoga pose. The following breathing pattern is recommended while doing the Ashwa Sanchalanasana.
- Breathe normally in vajrasana and while coming into the starting position.
- Inhale deeply in the starting position.
- Exhale while moving forward into the posture. Hold the breath for a few seconds while feeling the balance.
- Inhale while returning to the starting position.
- Breathe normally returning to vajrasana
Precautions of Ashwa Sanchalanasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
Ashwa Sanchalanasana is not recommended for people with injured knees or ankles.
Benefits of Ashwa Sanchalanasana
Ashwa Sanchalanasana tones the abdominal organs and is good for the lower back. It also strengthens the hips, legs, ankles and feet, and induces balance in the nervous system.
Note: This is the fourth asana practised in surya namaskara and chandra namaskara.
Vajrasana Group of AsanasAshwa Sanchalanasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga is a part of the Vajrasana Group of Asanas. The vajra or thunderbolt is said to be the weapon of Indra, king of the devas or gods, just as the mind is the king of all the senses. Vajra is also the major nadi directly connected with the genito-urinary system, which regulates the sexual energy in the body.
The following are the 16 poses in the Vajrasana group of asanas.
- Vajrasana – Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
- Ananda Madirasana – Intoxicating Bliss Pose In Yoga
- Padadhirasana – Breath Balancing Pose In Yoga
- Bhadrasana – Gracious Pose In Yoga
- Simhasana – Lion Pose In Yoga
- Simhagarjanasana – Roaring Lion Pose In Yoga
- Veerasana – Hero’s Pose In Yoga
- Marjariasana – Cat Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Vyaghrasana – Tiger Pose In Yoga
- Shashankasana – Pose of Moon In Yoga
- Shashank Bhujangasana – Striking Cobra Pose
- Naman Pranamasana – Prostration Pose In Yoga
- Ashwa Sanchalasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Ushtrasana – Half Camel Pose In Yoga
- Ushtrasana – Camel Pose In Yoga
- Supta Vajrasana – Sleeping Thunderbolt Pose In Yoga
This is meant to help all beginners in yoga with Ashwa Sanchalanasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga. We hope you found this article on Ashwa Sanchalanasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga useful. It is meant to explain how to do the Ashwa Sanchalanasana – Equestrian Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Leave a Reply