Yogamudrasana in yoga also known as the psychic union pose is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. It focuses on clearing physical, emotional and mental blocks, helps awaken the energy centers of the body and induces tranquillity. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga, benefits of Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga, its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- Sit in padmasana and close the eyes.
- Relax the body for some time, breathing normally.
- Hold one wrist behind the back with the other hand. Inhale deeply.
- While exhaling, bend forward, keeping the spine straight. Bring the forehead to the floor or as close as is comfortable. Relax the whole body in the final position, breathing slowly and deeply. Be aware of the pressure of the heels on the abdomen.
- Stay in the final position for as long as is comfortable. Do not strain the back, ankles, knees or thighs by forcing the body into the posture or staying in it for too long. Slowly return to the starting position.
- Repeat the pose with the legs crossed the other way around.
Breathing pattern while doing Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- Inhale slowly and deeply in the starting position.
- Exhale while bending forward.
- Breathe deeply and slowly in the final position.
- Inhale while returning to the starting pose.
- Ideally preceded or followed by backward bending asana such as matsyasana (with the legs stretched out), ushtrasana or bhujangasana.
Benefits of doing Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- This is an excellent asana for massaging the abdominal organs, removing constipation and indigestion.
- It stretches the back, freeing the spinal nerves which emerge from the spaces between the vertebrae, thus contributing to good general health.
- Yogamudrasana is used to awaken manipura chakra.
Precautions while doing Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- People with serious eye, back or heart conditions, or with high blood pressure, and those in the early post-operative or post-delivery period should not attempt this asana.
Variation for beginners
- This variation follows the same method as the basic technique except that instead of remaining in the final position, the body is raised and lowered a number of times.
- It is particularly useful for those who are stiff and cannot touch the floor with their foreheads.
- Synchronize the movement with the breath.
Padmasana Group of Asana SeriesYogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas. The Padmasana group of asanas is a part of the intermediate yoga poses series. The following yoga poses are a part of this series
- Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- Matsyasana – Fish Pose In Yoga
- Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Baddha Padmasana – Locked Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- Kukkutasana – Cockerel Pose In Yoga
- Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
Padmasana is traditionally regarded as one of the best postures for pranayama and pratyahara as it allows the body to be held completely steady for long periods of time.
In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Yoga poses and articles related to Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga