Lolasana in yoga also known as the swinging pose is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. It focuses on clearing physical, emotional and mental blocks, help awaken the energy centres of the body and induce tranquillity. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga, breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga, its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- Sit in padmasana.
- Place the palms on the floor beside the thighs.
- Inhale deeply.
- Raise the whole body from the floor, balancing only on the hands.
- Swing the body backward and forward between the arms. Lower the buttocks and legs to the ground.
- Rest in the sitting position.
- Repeat the pose with the legs crossed the other way. Practise 3 to 5 rounds.
Breathing pattern while doing Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- Inhale before lifting the body off the floor.
- Retain the breath inside while raising and swinging backward and fotward.
- Exhale on returning to the floor.
Benefits of doing Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- The arms, wrists, shoulders and abdominal muscles are strengthened and the chest is opened.
- It generates control and balance.
Precautions while doing Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- This is a strenuous asana, not suitable for people with heart conditions, high blood pressure, prolapse, hernia or back pain.
Padmasana Group of Asana SeriesLolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas. The Padmasana group of asanas is a part of the intermediate yoga poses series. The following yoga poses are a part of this series
- Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- Matsyasana – Fish Pose In Yoga
- Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Baddha Padmasana – Locked Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- Kukkutasana – Cockerel Pose In Yoga
- Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
Padmasana is traditionally regarded as one of the best postures for pranayama and pratyahara as it allows the body to be held completely steady for long periods of time.
In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Yoga poses and articles related to Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga