Tolangulasana in yoga also known as the weighing scale pose is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. It focuses on clearing physical, emotional and mental blocks, help awaken the energy centres of the body and induce tranquillity. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga , breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga , its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
- Sit in padmasana.
- Slowly and carefully lower the back to a 45° angle with the floor, using the hands and elbows to assist the movement. Place the palms of the hands underneath the buttocks.
- Raise the trunk and legs so that the whole body is supported only on the buttocks and forearms.
- Perform jalandhara bandha. Advanced practitioners may also practise moola bandha.
- Remain in the final position for a comfortable period of time without straining. Slowly lower the body to the floor. Repeat up to 5 times.
Breathing pattern while doing Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
- Inhale in the raised position and retain the breath while doingjalandhara bandha.
- Do not retain the breath for longer than is comfortable.
- Release jalandhara bandha and exhale while returning to the starting position.
Benefits of doing Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
- This asana tones the abdominal organs and lower abdominal muscles, and removes excess weight.
- It strength ens the back, and especially the thigh muscles. It induces a state of relaxation and equanimity.
Padmasana Group of Asana SeriesTolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas. The Padmasana group of asanas is a part of the intermediate yoga poses series. The following yoga poses are a part of this series
- Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- Matsyasana – Fish Pose In Yoga
- Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Baddha Padmasana – Locked Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- Kukkutasana – Cockerel Pose In Yoga
- Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
Padmasana is traditionally regarded as one of the best postures for pranayama and pratyahara as it allows the body to be held completely steady for long periods of time.
In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Yoga poses and articles related to Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
Leave a Reply