Garbhasana in yoga also known as the womb pose is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. It focuses on clearing physical, emotional, and mental blocks, help awaken the energy centres of the body and induce tranquillity. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga , breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga , its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- Sit in padmasana.
- Insert an ann between the thigh and calf of each leg and bend the elbows under the calves.
- Fold the arms upward and raise the legs. Hold the ears, balancing the whole body on the coccyx.
- The eyes may be open or closed.
- Maintain the final position for as long as is comfortable. Let go of the ears, lower the legs and slowly release the arms from the legs.
- Cross the legs the other way around and repeat the pose. �Ibis asana may also be performed lying on the back.
Breathing pattern while doing Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- Exhale while bringing the hands to the ears.
- Breathe normally in the final position.
- In the final position the breath will be shallow because the stomach and lungs are compressed.
Benefits of doing Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- This asana has a regulating effect on the adrenal glands and calms an excited mind.
- It helps emotional stability generally, giving a sense of security, while those who experience uncontrollable anger may practise this pose regularly.
- It massages and tones the abdominal organs, stimulates the digestive fire and increases the appetite. It also develops the sense of balance.
Padmasana Group of Asana SeriesGarbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas. The Padmasana group of asanas is a part of the intermediate yoga poses series. The following yoga poses are a part of this series
- Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- Matsyasana – Fish Pose In Yoga
- Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Baddha Padmasana – Locked Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- Kukkutasana – Cockerel Pose In Yoga
- Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
Padmasana is traditionally regarded as one of the best postures for pranayama and pratyahara as it allows the body to be held completely steady for long periods of time.
In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Yoga poses and articles related to Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga