Gupta Padmasana (hidden lotus pose) is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. It focuses on clearing physical, emotional and mental blocks, help awaken the energy centres of the body and induce tranquillity. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga, breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga, its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Assume padmasana.
- Place the hands on the floor in front ofthe knees. Leaning on the arms, raise the buttocks and stand on the knees. Slowly lower the front side of the body to the floor in the prone position.
- Rest the chin on the floor.
- Place the palms together behind the back.
- The fingers may point downward, or upward in hamsa mudra. If possible, touch the back of the head with the middle fingers.
- Close the eyes and relax the whole body.
- Return to the starting position, cross the legs the other way and repeat the asana.
Breathing pattern while doing Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Normal and unrestrained in the final position.
Benefits of doing Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- This asana helps to correct postural defects of the spine and so is useful in achieving a productive meditation posture.
- It may be used as a relaxation pose as it induces peace, stability and emotional balance.
Precautions while doing doing Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Anyone suffering from any kind of injury at the ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, neck, lower back, psspineine, or rib cage, or even injury related to any ligament in any part of the body, and who have undergone any recent abdominal surgery should avoid this pose.
Variation of Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- For complete relaxation, the hands may rest on the floor beside the body with the palms upward.
- Also the head can be turned to one side, resting one cheek on the floor.
- After some time, gently turn the head to the other side for an equal length of time.
Padmasana Group of Asana SeriesGupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga is a part of the Padmasana group of asanas. The Padmasana group of asanas is a part of the intermediate yoga poses series. The following yoga poses are a part of this series
- Yogamudrasana – Psychic Union Pose In Yoga
- Matsyasana – Fish Pose In Yoga
- Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Baddha Padmasana – Locked Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Lolasana – Swinging Pose In Yoga
- Kukkutasana – Cockerel Pose In Yoga
- Garbhasana – Womb Pose In Yoga
- Tolangulasana – Weighing Scale Pose In Yoga
Padmasana is traditionally regarded as one of the best postures for pranayama and pratyahara as it allows the body to be held completely steady for long periods of time.
In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Yoga poses and articles related to Gupta Padmasana – Hidden Lotus Pose In Yoga