Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana (standing foot to head pose) is a part of the advanced group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that are designed to further improve the health of a person who is already very healthy.
How to do Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Assume eka pada sirasana with the right leg behind the head. Place both palms on the floor, using the hands and arms for support.
- Lean back slightly and come into a squatting position on the left leg.
- Straighten the knee and stand upright. Do not strain.
- When balance is secured in the standing position, place the palms together in front of the chest. This is the final position.
- Maintain balance in the standing position for as long as is comfortable.
- Carefully sit down and release the raised leg. Stretch the legs forward and relax.
- Repeat with the other leg behind the head.
Breathing pattern while doing Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Inhale as the body is raised. Breathe normally in the final position.
- Exhale as the body is lowered.
Sequence of doing Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- This asana should only be attempted after mastering eka pada sirasana.
Precautions while doing Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- This posture should not be attempted by people with sciatica, hip problems or hernia.
- To prevent strained muscles and torn ligaments, this asana should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible.
- It should be avoided by people with any back ailment.
- It is very strenuous for the knees and ankles. Those with high blood pressure or vertigo should avoid this asana.
Benefits while doing Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- This asana compresses each side of the abdomen, thoroughly massaging the internal organs, stimulating peristalsis and removing constipation.
- It tones the reproductive organs and improves blood circulation in the legs, relieving varicose veins. It increases the level of energy in the chakras, thus vitalizing the body and mind.
- This asana strengthens the thigh and back muscles, and improves concentration.
Advanced Yoga Poses Series
Advanced yoga poses take your yoga practice to the next level. If you’ve perfected beginner, and intermediate yoga poses, you can explore advanced yoga poses. The advanced poses should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible. Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana - Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga is one of the yoga poses classified as advanced yoga poses.
Advanced Yoga Poses and perfecting them can make you an expert in Yoga asanas. Before attempting advanced yoga poses, it’s important to perfect yoga poses and sequences including Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana Series, Padmasana group of asanas, forward bending yoga poses, spinal twisting yoga poses, postures for meditation, inverted yoga poses, and balancing yoga poses.
Be mindful of all the precautions to take while doing these poses to avoid injury. It’s advised to learn these in presence of a trained instructor to make sure you do these properly.
List of Advanced Yoga Poses
- Poorna Bhujangasana – Full Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Koormasana – Tortoise Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Shalabhasana – Full Locust Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Dhanurasana – Full Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurakarshanasana – Archer’s Pose In Yoga
- Prishthasana – Back Pose In Yoga
- Parighasana – Beam or Cross-bar pose In Yoga
- Chakrasana – Wheel Pose In Yoga
- Hanumanasana – Hanuman’s Pose In Yoga
- Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Sirshapada Bhumi Sparshasana – Head And Foot Touching The Ground Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Matsyendrasana – Full Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Mayurasana – Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Padma Mayurasana – Lotus Or Bound Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Moolabandhasana – Perineal Contraction Pose In Yoga
- Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Astavakrasana – Eight-twists Pose In Yoga
- Vrischikasana – Scorpion Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Sirasana – One Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Sirasana – Two Feet To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Padma Parvatasana – Lotus Mountain Pose In Yoga
- Kashyapasana – Sage Kashyapa’s Pose In Yoga
- Vishwamitrasana – Sage Vishwamitra’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana - Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga useful. It covers how to do Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana - Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga, the benefits of the pose, precautions while doing the yoga pose, and important notes for practitioners. You can check out other advanced yoga poses from the list mentioned above.