Dwi Pada Kandharasana (two-legged shoulder pose) is a part of the advanced group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that are designed to further improve the health of a person who is already very healthy.
How to do Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Lie on the back with the legs straight and the arms by the sides. Relax the whole body.
- Bend one leg and bring the foot behind the head and the leg under the armpit.
- Repeat the process with the other leg so that both arms rest above the legs.
- Gently press the legs downward with the arms.
- Try to cross the feet behind the head, but do not strain. In the final position, point the arms forward and place the palms together.
- Relax the whole body.
- Close the eyes and maintain the position for as long as is comfortable.
- Release the legs and return to the starting position.
Breathing pattern while doing Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Breathe normally while assuming the final position.
- Breathe slowly and deeply in the final position.
- Inhale deeply, then exhale as the legs are released.
Sequence of doing Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Dwi pada kandharasana should not be attempted before eka pada sirasana is mastered. It should be practised towards the end of the asana program and followed by a backward bending asana such as dhanurasana, bhujang asana or matsyasana.
Benefits of doing Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- This asana helps to control the nervous system. The solar plexus and the adrenal glands are powerfully massaged, increasing vitality.
- It tones all the abdominal and pelvic organs, improving the efficiency of the digestive, reproductive and eliminatory systems.
Precautions while doing Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- To prevent strained muscles and torn ligaments, this asana should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible.
- It should be avoided by persons with any back ailment.
Advanced Yoga Poses Series
Advanced yoga poses take your yoga practice to the next level. If you’ve perfected beginner, and intermediate yoga poses, you can explore advanced yoga poses. The advanced poses should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible. Dwi Pada Kandharasana - Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga is one of the yoga poses classified as advanced yoga poses.
Advanced Yoga Poses and perfecting them can make you an expert in Yoga asanas. Before attempting advanced yoga poses, it’s important to perfect yoga poses and sequences including Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana Series, Padmasana group of asanas, forward bending yoga poses, spinal twisting yoga poses, postures for meditation, inverted yoga poses, and balancing yoga poses.
Be mindful of all the precautions to take while doing these poses to avoid injury. It’s advised to learn these in presence of a trained instructor to make sure you do these properly.
List of Advanced Yoga Poses
- Poorna Bhujangasana – Full Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Koormasana – Tortoise Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Shalabhasana – Full Locust Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Dhanurasana – Full Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurakarshanasana – Archer’s Pose In Yoga
- Prishthasana – Back Pose In Yoga
- Parighasana – Beam or Cross-bar pose In Yoga
- Chakrasana – Wheel Pose In Yoga
- Hanumanasana – Hanuman’s Pose In Yoga
- Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Sirshapada Bhumi Sparshasana – Head And Foot Touching The Ground Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Matsyendrasana – Full Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Mayurasana – Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Padma Mayurasana – Lotus Or Bound Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Moolabandhasana – Perineal Contraction Pose In Yoga
- Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Astavakrasana – Eight-twists Pose In Yoga
- Vrischikasana – Scorpion Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Sirasana – One Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Sirasana – Two Feet To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Padma Parvatasana – Lotus Mountain Pose In Yoga
- Kashyapasana – Sage Kashyapa’s Pose In Yoga
- Vishwamitrasana – Sage Vishwamitra’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Dwi Pada Kandharasana - Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga useful. It covers how to do Dwi Pada Kandharasana - Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga, the benefits of the pose, precautions while doing the yoga pose, and important notes for practitioners. You can check out other advanced yoga poses from the list mentioned above.