Poorna Bhujangasana (full cobra pose) is a part of the advanced group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that are designed to further improve the health of a person who is already very healthy.
How to do Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose)
- Assume bhujangasana.
- Holding the position, breathe in and out normally a few times.
- Bend the knees and raise the feet.
- Stretch the head, neck and shoulders back a little further and try to touch the back of the head with the toes or with the soles of the feet.
- This is the final position.
- Hold the final position for as long as is comfortable.
- To return to the starting position, lower the feet.
- Relax in bhujangasana for a few moments.
- Release the pose and relax with the arms by the side of the body and the head turned to one side.
- This is one round.
- After completing each round, allow the respiration and heartbeat to return to normal.
Breathing pattern while doing Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose)
- Inhale while assuming bhujangasana.
- Exhale while raising the toes to touch the head.
- Breathe normally in the final position.
- Exhale while returning to bhujangasana and while returning to the prone position.
Sequence of doing Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose)
- This asana gives maximum benefits if preceded or followed by a forward bending asana.
Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose) Benefits
- This asana keeps the spine supple and healthy. It tones the ovaries and uterus, and is beneficial for all the abdominal organs, especially the liver and kidneys.
- On a pranic level, this asana has a strong effect on all the organs related to swadhisthana, manipura, anahata and vishuddhi chakras.
Precautions while doing Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose)
- People suffering from peptic ulcer, hernia, intestinal tuberculosis or hyperthyroidism should not practise this asana without the guidance of a competent teacher.
- Those with any back condition, cervical spondylitis, high blood pressure or heart condition should not practise this asana.
- This variation is only suitable for adepts or children over the age of 12 with very supple backs.
Advanced Yoga Poses Series
Advanced yoga poses take your yoga practice to the next level. If you’ve perfected beginner, and intermediate yoga poses, you can explore advanced yoga poses. The advanced poses should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible. Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose) is one of the yoga poses classified as advanced yoga poses.
Advanced Yoga Poses and perfecting them can make you an expert in Yoga asanas. Before attempting advanced yoga poses, it’s important to perfect yoga poses and sequences including Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana Series, Padmasana group of asanas, forward bending yoga poses, spinal twisting yoga poses, postures for meditation, inverted yoga poses, and balancing yoga poses.
Be mindful of all the precautions to take while doing these poses to avoid injury. It’s advised to learn these in presence of a trained instructor to make sure you do these properly.
List of Advanced Yoga Poses
- Poorna Bhujangasana – Full Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Koormasana – Tortoise Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Shalabhasana – Full Locust Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Dhanurasana – Full Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurakarshanasana – Archer’s Pose In Yoga
- Prishthasana – Back Pose In Yoga
- Parighasana – Beam or Cross-bar pose In Yoga
- Chakrasana – Wheel Pose In Yoga
- Hanumanasana – Hanuman’s Pose In Yoga
- Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Sirshapada Bhumi Sparshasana – Head And Foot Touching The Ground Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Matsyendrasana – Full Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Mayurasana – Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Padma Mayurasana – Lotus Or Bound Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Moolabandhasana – Perineal Contraction Pose In Yoga
- Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Astavakrasana – Eight-twists Pose In Yoga
- Vrischikasana – Scorpion Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Sirasana – One Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Sirasana – Two Feet To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Padma Parvatasana – Lotus Mountain Pose In Yoga
- Kashyapasana – Sage Kashyapa’s Pose In Yoga
- Vishwamitrasana – Sage Vishwamitra’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose) useful. It covers how to do Poorna Bhujangasana (Full Cobra Pose), the benefits of the pose, precautions while doing the yoga pose, and important notes for practitioners. You can check out other advanced yoga poses from the list mentioned above.