Saral Bhujangasana (easy cobra pose) is a part of the backward bending yoga poses mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. They are a part of postures that turn the body out to face the world. They are stimulating and extraverting. This posture is also known as sphinx asana. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Bhujangasana - Cobra Pose In Yoga, breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Bhujangasana - Cobra Pose In Yoga, its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Lie flat on the stomach with the legs straight, feet together and the soles of the feet uppermost.
- Place the palms of the hands flat on the floor, below and slightly to the side of the shoulders, with the fingers together and pointing forward.
- Position the arms so that the elbows point backward and are close to the sides of the body.
- Rest the forehead on the floor and close the eyes.
- Relax the whole body, especially the lower back.
- Slowly raise the head.
- Gently tilt the head backward, so that the chin points forward and the back of the neck is compressed, then raise the neck and then the shoulders.
- Straighten the elbows, using the back muscles first, then the arm muscles to raise the trunk further and arch the back.
- In the final position, the pubic bone remains in contact with the floor and the navel is raised a maximum of 3 em. If the navel is raised too high, the bend tends to be in the knees and not in the back.
- The arms may or may not be straight; this will depend on the flexibility of the back.
- Hold the final position.
- To return to the starting position, slowly release the upper back by bending the anns, lower the navel, chest, shoulders and finally the forehead to the floor.
- Relax the lower back muscles.
- This is one round.
Breathing pattern while doing Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Inhale while raising the torso.
- Breathe normally in the final position or retain the breath if the pose is held for a short time.
- Exhale while lowering the torso.
- This asana gives maximum benefits if preceded or followed by a forward bending asana. It may also be performed in conjunction with shalabhasana and dhanur asana for effective general health of the back and spine.
Benefits of doing Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- This asana improves and deepens breathing. It can help to remove backache and keep the spine supple and healthy. It tones the ovaries and uterus, and helps in menstrual and some other gynaecological disorders.
- It stimulates the appetite, alleviates constipation and is beneficial for all the abdominal organs, especially the liver and kidneys.
Precautions while doing Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- People suffering from peptic ulcer, hernia, intestinal tuberculosis or hyperthyroidism should not practise this asana without the guidance of a competent teacher.
Backward Bending Yoga Poses SeriesBhujangasana - Cobra Pose In Yoga is a part of the Backward Bending Yoga Poses Series. Backward bending poses and Bhujangasana - Cobra Pose In Yoga come under the intermediate level yoga poses. In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
Backward bending yoga poses are postures that turn the body out to face the world. They are also dynamic postures that move counter to gravity and, therefore, require strength and energy to perform. The general benefits include stretching the abdominal muscles, toning, and strengthening the muscles controlling the spine.
The backward bending yoga pose series includes the following 13 yoga poses
- Saral Bhujangasana – Easy Cobra Pose In Yoga.
- Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Sarpasana – Snake Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Shalabhasana – Half Locust Pose In Yoga
- Shalabhasana – Locust Pose In Yoga
- Saral Dhanurasana – Easy Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurasana – Bow Pose In Yoga
- Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Pristhasana – Lizard Pose In Yoga
- Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- Gomukhasana – Cow’s Face Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Bhujangasana - Cobra Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Articles related to Bhujangasana - Cobra Pose In Yoga.