Tiryaka Bhujangasana (twisting cobra pose) is a part of the backward bending yoga poses mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. This asana is performed as part of the shankhaprakshalana series. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga, breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga, its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Lie flat on the stomach with the legs separated about half a metre. The toes should be tucked under and the heels raised so that the foot rests on the ball of the foot.
- Place the palms of the hands flat on the floor, below and slightly to the side of the shoulders.
- The fingers should be together and pointing forward. The arms should be positioned so that the elbows point backward and are close to the sides of the body.
- Rest the forehead on the floor and close the eyes.
- Relax the whole body, especially the lower back.
- Slowly raise the head, neck and shoulders. Straightening the elbows, raise the trunk as high as comfortable. Use the back muscles more than the arm muscles.
- The head should be facing forward, instead of bending backward as in bhujangasana.
- Twist the head and upper portion of the tn1nk, and look over the left shoulder.
- Gaze at the heel of the right foot.
- In the final position, the arms remain straight or slightly bent as the shoulders and trunk are twisted.
- Relax the back and keep the navel close to the floor.
- Stay in the final position for a few seconds.
- Face forward again and repeat the twist on the other side without lowering the trunk.
- Return to the centre and lower the body to the floor. This is one round. Practice 3 to 5 rounds.
Breathing pattern while doing Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Inhale while raising the torso.
- Exhale while twisting to the side, inhale to centre, exhale to the other side and again inhale to centre.
- Exhale while lowering the torso to the floor.
Benefits of doing Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga
- As for bhujangasana, with increased influence on the arms and the intestines.
Precautions while doing Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- People suffering from peptic ulcer, hernia, intestinal tuberculosis or hyperthyroidism should not practise this asana without the guidance of a competent teacher.
Backward Bending Yoga Poses SeriesTiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga is a part of the Backward Bending Yoga Poses Series. Backward bending poses and Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga come under the intermediate level yoga poses. In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
Backward bending yoga poses are postures that turn the body out to face the world. They are also dynamic postures that move counter to gravity and, therefore, require strength and energy to perform. The general benefits include stretching the abdominal muscles, toning, and strengthening the muscles controlling the spine.
The backward bending yoga pose series includes the following 13 yoga poses
- Saral Bhujangasana – Easy Cobra Pose In Yoga.
- Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Sarpasana – Snake Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Shalabhasana – Half Locust Pose In Yoga
- Shalabhasana – Locust Pose In Yoga
- Saral Dhanurasana – Easy Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurasana – Bow Pose In Yoga
- Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Pristhasana – Lizard Pose In Yoga
- Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- Gomukhasana – Cow’s Face Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Articles related to Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga.