Brahmacharyasana (celibate’s pose) is a part of the Advance group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that are designed to further improve the health of a person who is already very healthy.
How to do Brahmacharyasana (Celibate’s Pose)
- Sit with the legs together and outstretched in front of the body .
- Place the palms of the hands on the floor on either side of the hips with the fingers pointing forward and the elbows straight.
- Adjust the position of the hands, bringing them slightly forward, until the centre of gravity is found.
- Push down with the arms, using the abdominal muscles to lift the buttocks, legs and feet from the floor.
- In the final position only the palms of the hands remain on the floor.
- The whole body is supported and balanced on the hands alone.
- The legs should be horizontal and straight; the spine may curve slightly. Do not strain.
- Hold the position for as long as is comfortable.
- Slowly lower the buttocks and legs to the floor.
- Relax for a few moments with the legs outstretched before performing the next round. Practise up to 3 rounds.
Breathing pattern while doing Brahmacharyasana (Celibate’s Pose)
- Inhale while seated on the floor.
- Retain inside while raising and balancing the body. Exhale while returning to the floor.
Sequence while doing Brahmacharyasana (Celibate’s Pose)
- Follow with shavasana or advasana. Contra-indications: This asana should not be practised by people with high blood pressure or any heart ailment or hernia.
Benefits of doing Brahmacharyasana (Celibate’s Pose)
- This asana strengthens the abdominal organs and muscles, as well as the thighs and arms.
- The muscles of the perineum contract strongly while this asana is performed, automatically inducing vajroli mudra, ashwini mudra, and moola bandha. Consequently, it is an important asana for the conservation of sexual energy for spiritual purposes.
Advanced Yoga Poses Series
Advanced yoga poses take your yoga practice to the next level. If you’ve perfected beginner, and intermediate yoga poses, you can explore advanced yoga poses. The advanced poses should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible. Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga is one of the yoga poses classified as advanced yoga poses.
Advanced Yoga Poses and perfecting them can make you an expert in Yoga asanas. Before attempting advanced yoga poses, it’s important to perfect yoga poses and sequences including Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana Series, Padmasana group of asanas, forward bending yoga poses, spinal twisting yoga poses, postures for meditation, inverted yoga poses, and balancing yoga poses.
Be mindful of all the precautions to take while doing these poses to avoid injury. It’s advised to learn these in presence of a trained instructor to make sure you do these properly.
List of Advanced Yoga Poses
- Poorna Bhujangasana – Full Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Koormasana – Tortoise Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Shalabhasana – Full Locust Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Dhanurasana – Full Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurakarshanasana – Archer’s Pose In Yoga
- Prishthasana – Back Pose In Yoga
- Parighasana – Beam or Cross-bar pose In Yoga
- Chakrasana – Wheel Pose In Yoga
- Hanumanasana – Hanuman’s Pose In Yoga
- Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Sirshapada Bhumi Sparshasana – Head And Foot Touching The Ground Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Matsyendrasana – Full Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Mayurasana – Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Padma Mayurasana – Lotus Or Bound Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Moolabandhasana – Perineal Contraction Pose In Yoga
- Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Astavakrasana – Eight-twists Pose In Yoga
- Vrischikasana – Scorpion Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Sirasana – One Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Sirasana – Two Feet To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Padma Parvatasana – Lotus Mountain Pose In Yoga
- Kashyapasana – Sage Kashyapa’s Pose In Yoga
- Vishwamitrasana – Sage Vishwamitra’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga useful. It covers how to do Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga, the benefits of the pose, precautions while doing the yoga pose, and important notes for practitioners. You can check out other advanced yoga poses from the list mentioned above.
Articles related to Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
The following articles are recommended for you. Apart from these, do read The Basics of Yoga, and eight limbs of yoga.
Leave a Reply