Gorakshasana (Yogi Gorakhnath’s pose) is a part of the advanced yoga poses mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that are designed to further improve the health of a person who is already very healthy.
How to do Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Sit with the legs stretched out in front of the body.
- Bend the knees, take hold of the feet and place the soles together. Draw the heels up to the perineum.
- Raise the heels, keeping the balls of the feet on the floor. Place the hands behind the buttocks, fingers pointing backward, and lever the body forward until the feet become vertical. The knees should remain on the floor.
- Do not strain.
- Cross the wrists in front of the navel. Hold the left heel with the right hand and the right heel with the left hand.
- Straighten the spine and face forward. Perform nasikagra drishti.
- This is the final position.
- Hold for as long as is comfortable.
Breathing pattern while doing Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Breathe normally throughout the practice. Awareness: Physical – on maintaining balance or on the feet and knees.
Precautions while doing Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- This pose should not be attempted until the knees and ankles have become very flexible.
Benefits of doing Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- This asana reverses the flow of apana, directing it upward to the higher centres for use in meditative states. It makes the legs and feet extremely supple.
- To perform this ·asana, the muscles of the legs and feet need to be slowly stretched over a period of time.
Advanced Yoga Poses Series
Advanced yoga poses take your yoga practice to the next level. If you’ve perfected beginner, and intermediate yoga poses, you can explore advanced yoga poses. The advanced poses should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible. Gorakshasana - Yogi Gorakhnath's Pose In Yoga is one of the yoga poses classified as advanced yoga poses.
Advanced Yoga Poses and perfecting them can make you an expert in Yoga asanas. Before attempting advanced yoga poses, it’s important to perfect yoga poses and sequences including Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana Series, Padmasana group of asanas, forward bending yoga poses, spinal twisting yoga poses, postures for meditation, inverted yoga poses, and balancing yoga poses.
Be mindful of all the precautions to take while doing these poses to avoid injury. It’s advised to learn these in presence of a trained instructor to make sure you do these properly.
List of Advanced Yoga Poses
- Poorna Bhujangasana – Full Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Koormasana – Tortoise Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Shalabhasana – Full Locust Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Dhanurasana – Full Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurakarshanasana – Archer’s Pose In Yoga
- Prishthasana – Back Pose In Yoga
- Parighasana – Beam or Cross-bar pose In Yoga
- Chakrasana – Wheel Pose In Yoga
- Hanumanasana – Hanuman’s Pose In Yoga
- Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Sirshapada Bhumi Sparshasana – Head And Foot Touching The Ground Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Matsyendrasana – Full Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Mayurasana – Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Padma Mayurasana – Lotus Or Bound Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Moolabandhasana – Perineal Contraction Pose In Yoga
- Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Astavakrasana – Eight-twists Pose In Yoga
- Vrischikasana – Scorpion Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Sirasana – One Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Sirasana – Two Feet To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Padma Parvatasana – Lotus Mountain Pose In Yoga
- Kashyapasana – Sage Kashyapa’s Pose In Yoga
- Vishwamitrasana – Sage Vishwamitra’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Gorakshasana - Yogi Gorakhnath's Pose In Yoga useful. It covers how to do Gorakshasana - Yogi Gorakhnath's Pose In Yoga, the benefits of the pose, precautions while doing the yoga pose, and important notes for practitioners. You can check out other advanced yoga poses from the list mentioned above.