Setu Asana in yoga also known as the bridge pose a part of the backward bending yoga poses mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. They are a part of postures that turn the body out to face the world. They are stimulating and extraverting. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Setu Asana - Bridge Pose In Yoga, breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Setu Asana - Bridge Pose In Yoga, its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- Sit with the legs stretched forward.
- Place the palms on the floor on either side of the body, about 30 em behind the buttocks.
- The elbows should be straight, the fingers pointing back and the trunk slightly reclined.
- This is the starting position.
- Raise the buttocks and lift the body upward.
- Let the head hang back and down.
- Try to place the soles of the feet flat on the ground. Keep the arms and legs straight.
- Hold the final position for as long as is comfortable. Lower the buttocks to the floor.
- This is one round. Practise up to 5 times.
Breathing pattern while doing Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- Inhale in the starting position.
- Retain the breath inside while raising the body and holding the final position.
- Exhale while lowering to the starting position.
- As a preliminary practice to chakrasana.
Benefits of doing Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- This asana has similar benefits to chakrasana. It is generally strengthening for shoulders, thighs and wrists, and also tones the lumbar region of the spine and the achilles tendons.
Precautions while doing Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- This asana should not be practised by those with high blood pressure, heart disease, cervical spondylosis, hernia, stomach ulcers or weak wrists.
Backward Bending Yoga Poses SeriesSetu Asana - Bridge Pose In Yoga is a part of the Backward Bending Yoga Poses Series. Backward bending poses and Setu Asana - Bridge Pose In Yoga come under the intermediate level yoga poses. In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
Backward bending yoga poses are postures that turn the body out to face the world. They are also dynamic postures that move counter to gravity and, therefore, require strength and energy to perform. The general benefits include stretching the abdominal muscles, toning, and strengthening the muscles controlling the spine.
The backward bending yoga pose series includes the following 13 yoga poses
- Saral Bhujangasana – Easy Cobra Pose In Yoga.
- Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Sarpasana – Snake Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Shalabhasana – Half Locust Pose In Yoga
- Shalabhasana – Locust Pose In Yoga
- Saral Dhanurasana – Easy Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurasana – Bow Pose In Yoga
- Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Pristhasana – Lizard Pose In Yoga
- Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- Gomukhasana – Cow’s Face Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Setu Asana - Bridge Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Articles related to Setu Asana - Bridge Pose In Yoga.