Kandharasana (shoulder pose) a part of the backward bending yoga poses mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. They are a part of postures that turn the body out to face the world. They are stimulating and extraverting. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga, breathing pattern while doing this yoga pose, benefits of Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga, its various variations, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Lie flat on the back.
- Bend the knees, placing the soles of the feet flat on the floor with the heels touching the buttocks.
- The feet and knees may be hip width apart.
- Grasp the ankles with the hands.
- This is the starting position.
- Raise the buttocks and arch the back upward.
- Raise the chest and navel as high as possible without straining, pushing the chest up towards the chin and head, but without moving the position of the feet or shoulders. Keep the feet flat on the floor.
- In the final position, the body is supported by the head, neck, shoulders, arms and feet.
- Hold the pose for as long as is comfortable and then lower the body to the starting position.
- Release the ankles and relax with the legs outstretched. Practice 5 to 10 rounds.
Breathing pattern while doing Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Inhale deeply in the starting position.
- Retain the breath inside while raising and holding the final position.
- Alternatively, breathe slowly and deeply in the final position. Exhale while lowering to the starting position.
Perform before or after a forward bending asana. It is a good preparatory pose for chakrasana.
Benefits of doing Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- This asana may be utilized to realign the spine, eliminating rounded shoulders and relieving backache. It massages and stretches the colon and abdominal organs, improving digestion.
- It tones the female reproductive organs and is useful for women who have a tendency to miscarry, for the management of menstrual disorders, prolapse, asthma, and various bronchial and thyroid conditions.
Precautions while doing Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- People suffering from peptic or duodenal ulcers, or abdominal hernia should not practise kandhar asana. It is generally recommended that women in the advanced stages of pregnancy should not raise the buttocks more than 15 cm when practising this pose.
Backward Bending Yoga Poses SeriesKandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga is a part of the Backward Bending Yoga Poses Series. Backward bending poses and Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga come under the intermediate level yoga poses. In case you are a beginner in yoga, you should explore the beginner group of yoga poses. These include Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation).
Backward bending yoga poses are postures that turn the body out to face the world. They are also dynamic postures that move counter to gravity and, therefore, require strength and energy to perform. The general benefits include stretching the abdominal muscles, toning, and strengthening the muscles controlling the spine.
The backward bending yoga pose series includes the following 13 yoga poses
- Saral Bhujangasana – Easy Cobra Pose In Yoga.
- Bhujangasana – Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Bhujangasana – Twisting Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Sarpasana – Snake Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Shalabhasana – Half Locust Pose In Yoga
- Shalabhasana – Locust Pose In Yoga
- Saral Dhanurasana – Easy Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurasana – Bow Pose In Yoga
- Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Pristhasana – Lizard Pose In Yoga
- Setu Asana – Bridge Pose In Yoga
- Gomukhasana – Cow’s Face Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Articles related to Kandharasana – Shoulder Pose In Yoga.