Utthanasana in yoga also known as the squat and rise pose is a standing pose mentioned in the series Standing Asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha”. It focuses on stretching and strengthening the muscles. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Utthanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga, benefits of Utthanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga, precautions, and a note for practitioners.
How to do Uttanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga
- Stand erect with the feet about one metre apart.
- Turn the toes out to the sides where they remain throughout the practice.
- Interlock the fingers of both hands and let them hang loosely in front of the body.
Stage I :
- Slowly bend the knees and lower the buttocks about 20cm. The knees should bend outward over the toes and the spine should be straight.
- Straighten the knees and return to the upright position.
- Bend the knees and descend about half a metre. Again return to the upright position.
- Bend the knees and lower the buttocks until the hands are about 30 cm above the floor and then rise again.
- Finally, lower the buttocks until the hands rest on or as near as possible to the floor.
- Keep the arms and shoulders loose and avoid bending forward.
- Stay in the final position for a few seconds. Then return to the upright position and relax the body.
- Beginners should practice only 5 rounds of those stages they can manage comfortably. Practice all the stages one after the other only when there is no strain.
Breathing pattern while doing Utthanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga
- Exhale while lowering the body. Inhale while raising the body.
Benefits of doing Utthanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga
- This asana strengthens the muscles of the middle of the back, the pelvis, uterus, thighs, knees, and ankles.
Precautions while doing Utthanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga
- People with knee problems should practice only the initial stages. Do not strain. Not to be practiced by women suffering from prolapse of the uterus.
- During pregnancy practise only the first 2 stages.
Standing Asana SeriesUtthanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga is a part of the standing asana series. Standing asanas or standing yoga poses are the asanas that have a standing position as the starting position. Standing asanas are an important part of all yoga sequences. This series of standing asanas include beginners asanas focusing on stretching and strengthening the back, shoulders, and leg muscles.
The following 14 yoga asanas or yoga poses are a part of the standing asanas series.
- Bandha Hasta Uttanasana – Locked Hand Raising Pose In Yoga
- Akarna Dhanurasana – Bow And Arrow PoseIn Yoga
- Tadasana – Palm Tree Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Tadasana – Swaying Palm Tree Pose In Yoga
- Kati Chakrasana – Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Kati Chakrasana – Swaying Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- Meru Prishthasana – Spine And Back Pose In Yoga
- Uttanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga
- Druta Utkatasana – Dynamic Energy Pose In Yoga
- Samakonasana – Right Angle Pose In Yoga
- Dwikonasana – Double Angle Pose In Yoga
- Trikonasana – Triangle Pose In Yoga
- Utthita Lolasana – Swinging While Standing Pose In Yoga
- Dolasana – Pendulum Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Utthanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.
Leave a Reply