Grivasana (neck pose) is a part of the advanced group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that are designed to further improve the health of a person who is already very healthy.
How to do Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Lie flat on the back.
- Bend the knees and bring the heels up to touch the buttocks. The knees and feet should be slightly separated.
- Place the palms on the ground on either side of the head, level with the temples.
- Push down on the hands and feet and raise the trunk, placing the crown of the head on the floor.
- Balance on the head and feet.
- Raise the arms and cross them on the chest.
- This is the final position.
- Hold for as long as is comfortable.
Breathing pattern while doing Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Inhale deeply in the starting position.
- Retain the breath inside while raising.
- In the final position, retain the breath or breathe normally. Exhale while lowering the trunk.
Sequence while doing Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Follow this asana with a forward bending pose such as paschimottanasana where the neck vertebrae are stretched.
Precautions while doing Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- This is a strenuous posture. Only people in good, sound health should attempt it. People with neck conditions such as spondylitis, arthritis, slipped disc, high blood pressure, coronary diseases, high myopia, serious eye problems, prolapse, hernia or acid stomach should not practise this asana. Cautions for inverted asanas apply.
Benefits while doing Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana strengthens the neck, back and thighs, and improves the sense of balance.
Advanced Yoga Poses Series
Advanced yoga poses take your yoga practice to the next level. If you’ve perfected beginner, and intermediate yoga poses, you can explore advanced yoga poses. The advanced poses should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible. Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga is one of the yoga poses classified as advanced yoga poses.
Advanced Yoga Poses and perfecting them can make you an expert in Yoga asanas. Before attempting advanced yoga poses, it’s important to perfect yoga poses and sequences including Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana Series, Padmasana group of asanas, forward bending yoga poses, spinal twisting yoga poses, postures for meditation, inverted yoga poses, and balancing yoga poses.
Be mindful of all the precautions to take while doing these poses to avoid injury. It’s advised to learn these in presence of a trained instructor to make sure you do these properly.
List of Advanced Yoga Poses
- Poorna Bhujangasana – Full Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Koormasana – Tortoise Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Shalabhasana – Full Locust Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Dhanurasana – Full Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurakarshanasana – Archer’s Pose In Yoga
- Prishthasana – Back Pose In Yoga
- Parighasana – Beam or Cross-bar pose In Yoga
- Chakrasana – Wheel Pose In Yoga
- Hanumanasana – Hanuman’s Pose In Yoga
- Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Sirshapada Bhumi Sparshasana – Head And Foot Touching The Ground Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Matsyendrasana – Full Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Mayurasana – Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Padma Mayurasana – Lotus Or Bound Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Moolabandhasana – Perineal Contraction Pose In Yoga
- Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Astavakrasana – Eight-twists Pose In Yoga
- Vrischikasana – Scorpion Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Sirasana – One Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Sirasana – Two Feet To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Padma Parvatasana – Lotus Mountain Pose In Yoga
- Kashyapasana – Sage Kashyapa’s Pose In Yoga
- Vishwamitrasana – Sage Vishwamitra’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga useful. It covers how to do Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga, the benefits of the pose, precautions while doing the yoga pose, and important notes for practitioners. You can check out other advanced yoga poses from the list mentioned above.