Dhanurakarshanasana (archer’s pose) is a part of the advanced group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that are designed to further improve the health of a person who is already very healthy.
How to do Dhanurakarshanasana (Archer’s Pose)
- Sit in ardha padmasana with the right foot on top of the thigh and gaze steadily at a fixed point, as at a target.
- This is the base position.
- Grasp the right foot with the left hand and the left foot, or toe, with the right hand.
- Keep the spine and head erect.
- Raise the right foot towards the left ear.
- This is the final position.
- Hold for as long as is comfortable.
- Rest the right foot back on the left thigh in ardha pad masana, release the left foot, and relax.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Practise up to 3 times on each side.
Breathing pattern while doing Dhanurakarshanasana (Archer’s Pose)
- Inhale while drawing the foot towards the ear. Retain the breath for a comfortable duration in the final position.
- Exhale while returning the foot to the thigh.
Sequence of doing Dhanurakarshanasana (Archer’s Pose)
- This asana may be performed at any stage during the asana program.
Benefits of doing Dhanurakarshanasana (Archer’s Pose)
- This is an excellent asana for loosening the hip joints and making the legs supple.
- It strengthens the arms and tones the abdominal organs. It helps to relieve tension in the back and neck, and is helpful for people with hydrocele.
Precautions while doing Dhanurakarshanasana (Archer’s Pose)
- Those suffering from slipped disc, sciatica or dislocation of the hip joints should not practise it.
Variation of Dhanurakarshanasana (Archer’s Pose)
- Once this basic form can be performed effortlessly, the practice can be attempted with the heel of the right foot resting in the palm of the left hand.
Advanced Yoga Poses Series
Advanced yoga poses take your yoga practice to the next level. If you’ve perfected beginner, and intermediate yoga poses, you can explore advanced yoga poses. The advanced poses should not be attempted unless the body is very flexible. Dhanurakarshanasana – (Archer’s Pose) is one of the yoga poses classified as advanced yoga poses.
Advanced Yoga Poses and perfecting them can make you an expert in Yoga asanas. Before attempting advanced yoga poses, it’s important to perfect yoga poses and sequences including Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana Series, Padmasana group of asanas, forward bending yoga poses, spinal twisting yoga poses, postures for meditation, inverted yoga poses, and balancing yoga poses.
Be mindful of all the precautions to take while doing these poses to avoid injury. It’s advised to learn these in presence of a trained instructor to make sure you do these properly.
List of Advanced Yoga Poses
- Poorna Bhujangasana – Full Cobra Pose In Yoga
- Koormasana – Tortoise Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Shalabhasana – Full Locust Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Dhanurasana – Full Bow Pose In Yoga
- Dhanurakarshanasana – Archer’s Pose In Yoga
- Prishthasana – Back Pose In Yoga
- Parighasana – Beam or Cross-bar pose In Yoga
- Chakrasana – Wheel Pose In Yoga
- Hanumanasana – Hanuman’s Pose In Yoga
- Brahmacharyasana – Celibate’s Pose In Yoga
- Grivasana – Neck Pose In Yoga
- Sirshapada Bhumi Sparshasana – Head And Foot Touching The Ground Pose In Yoga
- Poorna Matsyendrasana – Full Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Mayurasana – Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Padma Mayurasana – Lotus Or Bound Peacock Pose In Yoga
- Moolabandhasana – Perineal Contraction Pose In Yoga
- Gorakshasana – Yogi Gorakhnath’s Pose In Yoga
- Astavakrasana – Eight-twists Pose In Yoga
- Vrischikasana – Scorpion Pose In Yoga
- Eka Pada Sirasana – One Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Utthan Eka Pada Sirasana – Standing Foot To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Sirasana – Two Feet To Head Pose In Yoga
- Dwi Pada Kandharasana – Two-Legged Shoulder Pose In Yoga
- Padma Parvatasana – Lotus Mountain Pose In Yoga
- Kashyapasana – Sage Kashyapa’s Pose In Yoga
- Vishwamitrasana – Sage Vishwamitra’s Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Dhanurakarshanasana – (Archer’s Pose) useful. It covers how to do Dhanurakarshanasana – (Archer’s Pose), the benefits of the pose, precautions while doing the yoga pose, and important notes for practitioners. You can check out other advanced yoga poses from the list mentioned above.