Sarvangasana (shoulder stand pose) is an inverted yoga pose. It is a part of the Inverted group of asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. It focuses on reversing the action of gravity on the body. Instead of everything being pulled towards the feet, the orientation shifts towards the head. Inverted asanas have many amazing benefits including increasing the blood flow to the brain. This is a very popular yoga pose and is a part of many sequences including the Sivananda Yoga Sequence.
How to do Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga
- Lie on the back on a folded blanket.
- Check that the head and spine are aligned and that the legs are straight with the feet together.
- Place the hands beside the body with the palms facing down.
- Relax the entire body and mind.
- Contract the abdominal muscles and, with the support of the arms, slowly raise the legs to the vertical position, keeping them straight.
- When the legs are vertical, press the arms and hands down on the floor.
- Slowly and smoothly roll the buttocks and spine off the floor, raising the trunk to a vertical position.
- Turn the palms of the hands upward, bend the elbows and place the hands behind the rib cage, slightly away from the spine, to support the back. The elbows should be about shoulder width apart.
- Gently push the chest forward so that it presses firmly against the chin.
- In the final position, the legs are vertical, together and in a straight line with the trunk.
- The body is supported by the shoulders, nape of the neck and back of the head.
- The arms provide stability, the chest rests against the chin and the feet are relaxed.
- Close the eyes. Relax the whole body in the final pose for as long as is comfortable.
- To return to the starting position, bring the legs forward until the feet are above and behind the back of the head.
- Keep the legs straight.
- Slowly release the position of the hands and place the arms on the floor beside the body with the palms down.
- Gradually lower each vertebra to the floor, followed by the buttocks, so that the legs resume their initial vertical position.
- Lower the legs to the floor slowly, keeping the knees straight.
- Perform this action without using the arms for support. The whole movement should combine balance with control so that the body contacts the floor slowly and gently.
- Relax in shavasana until the respiration and heartbeat return to normal.
Breathing pattern while doing Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga
- Inhale in the starting position.
- Retain the breath inside while assuming the final pose.
- Practise slow, deep abdominal breathing in the final pose. Retain the breath inside while lowering the body to the floor.
Sequence while doing Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga
- This asana should be followed by tadasana.
Benefits of doing Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga
- This asana helps in cases of low blood pressure.
- It balances the nervous system, strengthens the neck muscles and brings a rich supply of blood to the brain.
- As a preliminary pose to sirshasana, it accustoms the brain to the increased influx of blood and the crown to support the weight of the body.
Precautions while doing Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga
- People with high blood pressure, heart conditions, inflammation of the ear, weak eye capillaries, severe near-sightedness, problems in the pituitary or thyroid glands, arteriosclerosis, cerebral or other thrombosis, severe asthma, tuberculosis, cold or sinusitis, excessively impure blood, slipped disc, weak spine or vertigo should not practise this asana.
Inverted Yoga Poses SeriesSarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga is a part of the series on inverted yoga poses. Inverted yoga poses fundamentally shift the orientation towards the head instead of the feet. There are 14 yoga poses in this series. These yoga poses are refreshing and revitalizing since they help with better blood circulation. They improve health, reduce anxiety and stress, and increase self confidence.
List of all inverted yoga poses
- Bhumi Pada Mastakasana – Half Headstand Pose In Yoga
- Vipareeta Karani Asana – Inverted Pose In Yoga
- Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga
- Moordhasana – Crown-based Pose In Yoga
- Padma Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Poorva Halasana – Preliminary Plough Pose In Yoga
- Druta Halasana – Dynamic Plough Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Padma Halasana – Half Lotus Plough Pose In Yoga
- Stambhan Asana – Posture Of Retention In Yoga
- Sirshasana – Headstand Pose In Yoga
- Salamba Sirshasana – Supported Headstand Pose In Yoga
- Niralamba Sirshasana – Unsupported Headstand Pose In Yoga
- Oordhwa Padmasana – Headstand Lotus Pose In Yoga
- Kapali Asana – Forehead Supported Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose In Yoga helpful. This series is a part of intermediate yoga poses. As a beginner, you can also explore Sun Salutation, Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in Yoga, meditation postures in Yoga. As a yoga practitioner, do read the basics of Yoga.