Meru Wakrasana also known as Spinal Twist Pose in Yoga is a part of the yoga poses for the spine group of yoga poses. This series ‘Spinal Twisting Yoga poses’ is mentioned in the book ‘Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha’ by Swami Satyananda Saraswati under the Intermediate yoga poses category. In this article, we’ll show how to do the Meru Wakrasana, the benefits of Meru Wakrasana, breathing patterns while doing the pose, sequence, precautions, and notes for practitioners.
How to do Meru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Sit with the legs outstretched.
- Turn the trunk slightly to the right and place the right hand behind the body, dose to the left buttock, with the fingers pointing backward.
- Place the left hand behind and slightly to the side of the right buttock, as dose as possible to the right hand. Bend the left knee and place the foot outside the right knee. Twist the head and trunk as far to the right as is comfortable, using the arms as levers, while keeping the spine upright and straight.
- The buttocks should remain on the floor. The right elbow may bend a little.
- Hold the final position, relaxing the back. Look over the right shoulder as far as possible without straining. Re-centre the trunk and relax for a few seconds.
- Practise up to 5 times and then repeat on the other side.
Breathing Pattern While Doing Meru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Inhale deeply, exhale while twisting.
- Retain the breath outside, or breathe normally if holding the pose.
- Inhale while re-centring.
Awareness While Doing Meru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Physical – on the twist and relaxation ofthe spine, and on breath awareness in the final position.
- Spiritual – on manipura chakra.
Sequence While Doing Meru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Meru wakrasana is a preparatory asana for ardha matsyendrasana and may be practised after forward and backward bending asanas and before inverted asanas.
Meru Wakrasana Benefits
- Meru wakrasana stretches the spine, loosening the vertebrae and toning the nerves.
- It alleviates backache, neck pain, lumbago and mild forms of sciatica.
- It is a good yoga pose for beginners, preparing the back for the more difficult spinal twists.
Yoga Poses For the Spine SeriesMeru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga is a part of the yoga poses for the spine group of yoga poses.
Spinal Twisting Yoga Poses are important for spinal health. Every practice should include at least one Yoga pose for the spine, preferably following the forward and backward bending postures. On the emotional and psychic levels, controlled twisting and untwisting represent a means of managing the knots and problems we encounter. These yoga asanas or yoga poses give insight and inspire a systematic approach to untying the tangled knots of life.
The following is a complete list of all the important Yoga Poses for the spine.
- Meru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist In Yoga
- Bhu Namanasana – Spinal Twist Prostration Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Matsyendrasana – Half Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga
- Parivritti Janu Sirshasana – Spiralled Head To Knee Pose In Yoga
We hope you found this article on Meru Wakrasana – Spinal Twist Pose In Yoga helpful. You can check out other related articles below
Leave a Reply