Sirsha Angustha Yogasana (head to toe pose) is a part of the Forward bending yoga poses mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on introversion and counteracting the extroversion and dynamic opening up of bending backwards. It is associated with chest compression and exhalation, which induces relaxation.
How to do Sirsha Angustha Yogasana – Head To Toe Pose In Yoga
- Stand upright with the feet about two shoulder widths apart.
- Interlock the fingers behind the back with the palms up. Keep the arms straight.
- This is the starting position.
- Twist the trunk to the right and turn the right foot slightly out to the side.
- Bend forward at the waist, stretching the arms up as high as possible.
- Bring the head down to the inside of the right foot.
- Bend the right knee slightly to assume this position.
- As the head comes closer to the foot, relax the shoulders, keep the arms straight and allow them to fall forward. Hold the position for as long as is comfortable.
- To avoid overbalancing when raising the body, first raise the head, straighten the neck and spine and lower the arms on to the back. Straighten the leg a little, but keep the knee bent and only straighten it once the torso is upright, then re-centre the body.
- Repeat on the other side.
- This completes one round.
- Practise a maximum of 5 rounds.
Breathing pattern while doing Sirsha Angustha Yogasana – Head To Toe Pose In Yoga
- Inhale while in the starting position and while twisting.
- Exhale while bending.
- Retain the breath out while holding the position or breathe normally if holding the stretch for some time. Inhale while raising the trunk and re-centering the body.
Sequence of doing Sirsha Angustha Yogasana – Head To Toe Pose In Yoga
- This asana may be preceded by padahastasana and should be followed by a backward bending asana such as supta vajrasana or matsyasana.
Precautions while doing Sirsha Angustha Yogasana – Head To Toe Pose In Yoga
- This asana should not be practised by people suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, back conditions such as slipped disc or sciatica.
- Cautions for inverted postures apply.
Benefits of doing Sirsha Angustha Yogasana – Head To Toe Pose In Yoga
- This asana stretches the hamstring, the thigh muscles, the area between the shoulder blades, and provides a lateral stretch to the body.
- It stimulates the nervous system and the appetite, and helps to remove abdominal complaints. It reduces excess weight around the waist.
Forward Bending Yoga Poses SeriesSirsha Angustha Yogasana - Head To Toe Pose In Yoga is a part of the forward bending yoga poses series. Forward bending is a passive process in which gravity is utilized to stretch the muscle groups being focused upon. While backward bends move the body away from the confines of gravity, forward bending asanas use gravity to help release tension and pain. This is a part of the intermediate yoga poses. If you are a beginner you should explore Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation)
The following Yoga Poses / Yoga asanas are a part of the forward bending yoga poses series.
- Saithalyasana – Animal Relaxation Pose In Yoga
- Paschimottanasana – Back Stretching Pose In Yoga
- Gatyatmak Paschimottanasana – Dynamic Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana – Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Janu Sirshasana – Head To Knee Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Padma Paschimottanasana – Half Lotus Back Stretching Pose In Yoga
- Hasta Padangushthasana – Finger To Toe Stretch In Yoga
- Meru Akarshanasana – Spinal Bending Pose In Yoga
- Padahastasana – Hand To Foot Pose In Yoga
- Sirsha Angustha Yogasana – Head To Toe Pose In Yoga
- Utthita Janu Sirshasana – Standing Head Between Knees Pose In Yoga
- Eka Padottanasana – One Leg Raised To Head Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article featuring forward bending yoga poses, you were able to understand how to do the Sirsha Angustha Yogasana - Head To Toe Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.