Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana (legs spread back stretch pose) is a part of the Forward bending yoga poses mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on introversion and counteracting the extroversion and dynamic opening up of bending backwards. It is associated with chest compression and exhalation, which induces relaxation.
How to do Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana – Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Sit with the legs spread apart as wide as possible. Interlock the fingers behind the back.
- This is the starting position.
- Turn the trunk to the right.
- Raise the arms up behind the back and bend forward over the right leg. Keep the arms straight.
- Bring the nose towards the knee without bending the leg, but do not strain to make contact.
- Hold the position for as long as is comfortable. Raise the trunk and lower the arms.
- Turn to the left and repeat the movement on this side. Return to the centre.
- Bend forward and bring the forehead towards the floor directly in front of the body while raising the arms as high as possible without straining.
- Hold the position for as long as is comfortable.
- Return to the upright position, lowering the arms.
- This completes one round. Practice 3 to 5 rounds.
Variation of Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana – Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Assume the satne starting position as above, but with the hands in front of the body on the floor.
- Slowly bend forward and grasp the big toes with the fingers. If this can be done without strain, place the forehead on the floor directly in front of the body.
- Gradually bring the chest, abdomen and pelvic region to the floor. Raise the head so that the throat and chin are also on the floor.
- This is the final position.
- Hold the position for as long as is comfortable. Release the hands and return to the starting position.
Breathing pattern while doing Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana – Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Inhale in the starting position.
- Exhale while bending forward.
- Breathe slowly and deeply in the final position or retain the breath out if the position is held for only a short time.
- Inhale while returning to the starting position.
This asana should precede or follow backward bending asanas such as tiryaka bhujangasana, chakrasana or matsyasana.
Benefits of doing Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana – Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- This asana gives an extended stretch to the inside of the legs and the muscles under and between the shoulder blades.
- The chest is opened more than in paschimottanasana and the effect of the asana is distributed throughout both the upper and lower parts of the body.
Precautions while doing Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana – Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- This practice should not be attempted until paschimottanasana has been mastered.
Forward Bending Yoga Poses SeriesPada Prasar Paschimottanasana - Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga is a part of the forward bending yoga poses series. Forward bending is a passive process in which gravity is utilized to stretch the muscle groups being focused upon. While backward bends move the body away from the confines of gravity, forward bending asanas use gravity to help release tension and pain. This is a part of the intermediate yoga poses. If you are a beginner you should explore Pawanmuktasana series, relaxation postures in yoga, meditation postures in yoga, vajrasana group of asanas, standing asanas, Surya Namaskara (Sun salutation), and Chandra Namaskara (moon salutation)
The following Yoga Poses / Yoga asanas are a part of the forward bending yoga poses series.
- Saithalyasana – Animal Relaxation Pose In Yoga
- Paschimottanasana – Back Stretching Pose In Yoga
- Gatyatmak Paschimottanasana – Dynamic Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana – Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga
- Janu Sirshasana – Head To Knee Pose In Yoga
- Ardha Padma Paschimottanasana – Half Lotus Back Stretching Pose In Yoga
- Hasta Padangushthasana – Finger To Toe Stretch In Yoga
- Meru Akarshanasana – Spinal Bending Pose In Yoga
- Padahastasana – Hand To Foot Pose In Yoga
- Sirsha Angustha Yogasana – Head To Toe Pose In Yoga
- Utthita Janu Sirshasana – Standing Head Between Knees Pose In Yoga
- Eka Padottanasana – One Leg Raised To Head Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article featuring forward bending yoga poses, you were able to understand how to do the Pada Prasar Paschimottanasana - Legs Spread Back Stretch Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.