Skandha Chakra (shoulder socket rotation) is a part of the Pawanmuktasana series 1 ( Antirheumatic group ) mentioned in “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on shoulder socket joints. It is a simple asana, usually practiced at the starting to easily get into more complex asanas.
How to do Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga – Skandha Chakra
Stage I :
- Remain in a cross-legged pose.
- Place the fingers of the right hand on the right shoulder.
- Keep the left hand on the left knee and the back straight. Rotate the right elbow in a large circle.
- Practice 10 times clockwise and 10 times anti-clockwise. Repeat with the left elbow.
- Make sure that the head, trunk and spine remain straight and still.
Stage 2 :
- Place the fingers of the left hand on the left shoulder and the fingers of the right hand on the right shoulder.
- Fully rotate both elbows at the same time in a large circle.
- Try to touch the elbows in front of the chest on the forward movement and touch the ears while moving up.
- Stretch the arms back in the backward movement and touch the sides of the trunk while coming down.
- Practise slowly 10 times clockwise and then 10 times anti-clockwise.
Breathing pattern while doing Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga – Skandha Chakra
- Inhale on the upward stroke.
- Exhale on the downward stroke.
Benefits of Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga – Skandha Chakra
- Relieve the strain of driving and office work.
- Relieve the pressure in cervical spondylitis and frozen shoulder.
- Maintain the shape of the shoulders and chest.
- Stop if any unusual pain is experienced.
Antirheumatic Yoga Poses – Pawanmuktasana Part 1Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga - Skandha Chakra is a part of the Pawanmuktasana Series I. This group of Yoga poses is also known as the antirheumatic poses. Pawanmuktasana series part 1 are a group of poses concerned with loosening up the joints of the body. These poses are excellent for those debilitated by rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure, heart problems, or other ailments where vigorous physical exercise is not advised. Pawanmuktasana parts 1,2,3 in Yoga is one of the most important groups of yoga poses or yoga asanas that have a very profound effect on the human body and mind and is thus a most useful tool for the yogic management of various disorders and maintenance of health. Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga - Skandha Chakra is one of the poses in the full sequence (list below)
The sequence and all Antirheumatic Yoga poses – Pawanmuktasana part 1
- Padanguli Naman (Toe bending)
- Goolf Naman (Ankle bending)
- Goolf Chakra (Ankle rotation)
- Goolf Ghoornan (Ankle crank)
- Janu Naman (Knee bending)
- Janu Chakra (Knee Crank)
- Ardha Titali Asana (Half Butterfly pose)
- Shroni Chakra (Hip rotation)
- Poorna Titali Asana (Full butterfly yoga pose)
- Mushtika Bandhana (Hand Clenching)
- Manibandha naman (Wrist bending)
- Manibandha Chakra (Wrist joint rotation)
- Kehuni Naman (Elbow bending)
- Kehuni Chakra (Elbow rotation)
- Skandha Chakra (Shoulder socket rotation)
- Greeva Sanchalana (Neck movements)
We hope you found this article on Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga - Skandha Chakra useful. This is intended to give you a detailed information on Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga - Skandha Chakra, how to do Shoulder Socket Rotation in Yoga - Skandha Chakra, including its benefits, and precautions.