Shroni Chakra is a yoga pose that involves rotating the hips in a circular motion while seated on the floor. This pose is also known as Hip Circle in English.
Overview of Shroni Chakra
|English Name||Hip Rotation Pose|
|Sanskrit Name||Shroni Chakra|
|Meaning||The Sanskrit word “Shroni” means hips, and “Chakra” means wheel or circle.|
|Duration||2 – 4 mins|
|Category||Pawanmuktasana series 1|
|Category (English)||Antirheumatic yoga poses|
|Benefits||Helps loosens up hip and knee joint|
How To Do Hip Rotation in Yoga – Shroni Chakra
- Sit in the base position with the legs outstretched and the feet together. Place the hands beside and slightly behind the buttocks.
- Lean back a little, using the arms to support the back. Keep the spine straight.
- Bend the right foot on the left thigh and keep the left leg straight in front.
- Use the right hand to rotate the right knee in a circle and make the circular movement as large as possible.
- The index finger may be pointed out and used as a guide to perfection of the circular movement.
- Practice 10 rotations clockwise and then 10 rotations anti clockwise.
- Straighten the leg slowly.
- Repeat with the left leg.
- Inhale on the upward movement.
- Exhale on the downward movement.
- Shroni Chakra can enhance flexibility and mobility in the hips
- Provides significant advantages for those who spend extended periods sitting.
- The rotation of the hips in Shroni Chakra can relieve tension and stiffness in the lower back and hips.
- It is a calming and restorative posture that can help lower stress and anxiety.
- The circular movement of the hips stimulates the digestive system, which can aid in digestion and elimination.
The shroni chakra (hip rotation) stretches inner thighs and knees. It helps loosens up hip and knee joint. It is one of the yoga poses in the pawanmuktasana series – 1.
Shroni Chakra should not be practiced if you are suffering from knee injury. Make sure to not force any movement while doing the shroni chakra. It should not be practiced if suffering from sciatica.
Shroni Chakra is an important Yoga pose which can help open the hip. In a world where we sit for long hours, either traveling, driving, or sitting at an office desk or while working from home, it is highly likely that our hips tend to get stiff. Shroni Chakra is one of the key Yoga poses for beginners that can help open up the hip joints.