The ankle crank pose in Yoga also known as Goolf Ghooman is a part of the Pawanmuktasana series 1 ( Antirheumatic yoga poses) mentioned in “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on the feet. It is a very simple practice for beginners to open up the ankle joint and improve blood circulation in the legs.
How to do Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman
- Sit in the base position with the legs outstretched and the feet together. Place the hands beside and slightly behind the buttocks.
- Lean back a little, using the arms to support the back. Keep the spine straight.
- Bend the right knee and bring the foot towards the groin.
- Turn the knee out to the side and if there is no strain, gently place the foot on the left thigh.
- Make sure the ankle is far enough over the thigh to be free for rotation.
- Hold the right ankle with the right hand. Hold the toes of the right foot with the left hand.
- With the aid of the left hand, slowly rotate the right foot 10 times clockwise, then 10 times anti-clockwise.
- Change the leg and repeat with the left foot placed on the right thigh.
Breathing pattern while doing Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman
- Inhale on the upward movement.
- Exhale on the downward movement.
Benefits of Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman
- Loosens the ankle joint.
- Helps in returning the stagnant lymph and venous blood.
- Relieve tiredness and cramp, and help prevent venous thrombosis, especially in bedridden, post-operative patients.
- Stop if the knee is aching or any sort of discomfort is felt.
Antirheumatic Yoga Poses – Pawanmuktasana Part 1
The Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman is a part of the Pawanmuktasana Series I. This group of Yoga poses is also known as the antirheumatic poses. Pawanmuktasana series part 1 are a group of poses concerned with loosening up the joints of the body. These poses are excellent for those debilitated by rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure, heart problems, or other ailments where vigorous physical exercise is not advised. Pawanmuktasana parts 1,2,3 in Yoga is one of the most important groups of yoga poses or yoga asanas that have a very profound effect on the human body and mind and is thus a most useful tool for the yogic management of various disorders and maintenance of health. Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman is one of the poses in the full sequence (list below)
The sequence and all Antirheumatic Yoga poses – Pawanmuktasana part 1
- Padanguli Naman (Toe bending)
- Goolf Naman (Ankle bending)
- Goolf Chakra (Ankle rotation)
- Goolf Ghoornan (Ankle crank)
- Janu Naman (Knee bending)
- Janu Chakra (Knee Crank)
- Ardha Titali Asana (Half Butterfly pose)
- Shroni Chakra (Hip rotation)
- Poorna Titali Asana (Full butterfly yoga pose)
- Mushtika Bandhana (Hand Clenching)
- Manibandha naman (Wrist bending)
- Manibandha Chakra (Wrist joint rotation)
- Kehuni Naman (Elbow bending)
- Kehuni Chakra (Elbow rotation)
- Skandha Chakra (Shoulder socket rotation)
- Greeva Sanchalana (Neck movements)
We hope you found this article on Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman useful. This is intended to give you a detailed information on Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman, how to do Ankle Crank in Yoga – Goolf Ghooman, including its benefits, and precautions.