Universal Spinal Twist (Shava Udarakarshanasana) is a yoga pose that involves twisting the spine while lying on the back. It is a gentle pose that can help to improve spinal flexibility, relieve tension in the back and hips, and promote relaxation.
|English Name||Universal Spinal Twist|
|Sanskrit Name||Shava Udarakarshanasana|
|Meaning||“Shava” means corpse, “udara” means abdomen, “karshana” means to stretch, and “asana” means posture or pose.|
|Base position||Lying down|
|Body Part||Back, Hips|
|Category||Pawanmuktasana series 2|
|Category (English)||Digestive And Abdominal Poses|
|Benefits||Improve spinal flexibility, relieve tension in the back and hips|
|Precautions||It should be avoided if you are experiencing pain while doing this. It is generally fine for people of all ages and all levels of flexibility. Do not force your body while doing this pose.|
How to do Universal Spinal Twist (Shava Udarakarshanasana)
- Lie in the starting position with the legs and feet together. Stretch the arms out to the sides at shoulder level with the palms of the hands facing down.
- Bend the right leg and place the sole of the foot beside the left kneecap. Place the left hand on top of the right knee. This is the starting position.
- Gently bring the right knee down towards the floor on the left side of the body, keeping the leg bent and the foot in contact with the left knee.
- Turn the head to the right, looking along the straight arm, and gaze at the middle finger of the right hand.
- The left hand should be on the right knee and the right arm and shoulder should remain in contact with the floor. In the final position, the head should be turned in the opposite direction to the folded knee and the other leg should remain straight.
- Hold the position for as long as is comfortable.
- Return to the starting position, bringing the head and knee to the centre. Stretch the right arm out to the side and straighten the right leg.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- Practise once to each side, gradually extending the holding time.
Breathing pattern while doing Universal Spinal Twist (Shava Udarakarshanasana)
- Inhale in the starting position.
- Exhale while pushing the knee towards the floor and turning the head.
Benefits of Shava Udarakarshanasana (Universal Spinal Twist)
- Shava Udarakarshanasana relieves tightness and tiredness, especially in the lower back.
- The pelvic and abdominal organs are toned through its massaging action.
- It helps relax the body
- It can be done by people of all ages and all flexibility levels.
- It is great pose for those who sit for long periods of time.
- This asana can realign the hip joint.
- It should be stopped if the practice is painful.