Shava Udarakarshanasana (universal spinal twist) is a part of the Pawanmuktasana series 2 (Digestive / abdominal group ) mentioned in “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on the digestive system. It also eliminates energy blockages in the abdominal area.
How to do Universal Spinal Twist In Yoga – Shava Udarakarshanasana
- Lie in the starting position with the legs and feet together. Stretch the arms out to the sides at shoulder level with the palms of the hands facing down.
- Bend the right leg and place the sole of the foot beside the left kneecap. Place the left hand on top of the right knee. This is the starting position.
- Gently bring the right knee down towards the floor on the left side of the body, keeping the leg bent and the foot in contact with the left knee.
- Turn the head to the right, looking along the straight arm, and gaze at the middle finger of the right hand.
- The left hand should be on the right knee and the right arm and shoulder should remain in contact with the floor. In the final position, the head should be turned in the opposite direction to the folded knee and the other leg should remain straight.
- Hold the position for as long as is comfortable.
- Return to the starting position, bringing the head and knee to the centre. Stretch the right arm out to the side and straighten the right leg.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
- Practise once to each side, gradually extending the holding time.
Breathing pattern while doing Universal Spinal Twist In Yoga – Shava Udarakarshanasana:
- Inhale in the starting position.
- Exhale while pushing the knee towards the floor and turning the head.
Benefits of Universal Spinal Twist In Yoga – Shava Udarakarshanasana:
- Tightness and tiredness are relieved, especially in the lower back.
- The pelvic and abdominal organs are toned through its massaging action.
Precautions of Universal Spinal Twist In Yoga – Shava Udarakarshanasana:
- This asana can realign the hip joint.
- It should be stopped if the practice is painful.
Pawanmuktasana Part II – Digestive / Abdominal Poses in YogaUniversal Spinal Twist - Shava Udarakarshanasana is a part of the Pawanmuktasana Series II. The series corresponds to the Digestive/Abdominal poses in Yoga. They are a group of asanas concerned specifically with strengthening the digestive system. This is the second part of the Pawanmuktasana Series 1,2,3. These are excellent for people with indigestion, constipation, acidity, excess wind or gas, lack of appetite, diabetes, disorders of the reproductive systems, and varicose veins. The digestive and abdominal poses (pawanmuktasana – 2) also help in eliminating energy blockages in the abdominal area. The sequence for Digestive and Abdominal Poses in Yoga – Pawanmuktasana Part 2 is as important as it is form any other yoga poses or technique. The following is the recommended sequence.
- Raised Legs Pose – Padotthanasana
- Leg rotation – Padchakrasana
- Cycling in yoga – Pada Sanchalanasana
- Leg lock pose – Supta pawanmuktasana
- Rocking and rolling in yoga – Jhulana Lurhakanasana
- Sleeping abdominal stretch pose – Supta Udarakarshanasana
- Universal spinal twist – Shava Udarakarshanasana
- Boat pose – Naukasana
We hope you found this article on Universal Spinal Twist - Shava Udarakarshanasana useful. This is intended to give you a detailed information on Universal Spinal Twist - Shava Udarakarshanasana, how to do Universal Spinal Twist - Shava Udarakarshanasana, including its benefits, and precautions.