Pawanmuktasana, also known as the Leg Lock Pose in Yoga, is a seated posture that is performed to release excess energy and tension from the legs, hips, and lower back. This posture is also beneficial for promoting digestive health and improving circulation in the legs.
|English Name||Leg Lock Pose (also known as wind release pose in yoga)|
|Sanskrit Name||Pawanmuktasana (also known as supta pawanmuktasana0|
|Meaning||Pawanmuktasana is a Sanskrit term used in yoga, where “Pawan” means “wind,” “Mukta” means “release,” and “Asana” means “pose.” Therefore, Pawanmuktasana can be translated as “Wind-Relieving Pose.”|
|Base position||Lying down|
|Repetitions||3 times with the right leg and then 3 times with the left leg|
|Category||Pawanmuktasana series 2|
|Category (English)||Digestive And Abdominal Poses|
|Benefits||Improves digestion, reduces flatulence.|
|Precautions||Should be performed empty stomach.|
How to do Leg Lock Pose In Yoga (Supta Pawanmuktasana)
Stage I :
- Lie in the starting position and relax.
- Bend the right knee and bring the thigh to the chest. Interlock the fingers and clasp the hands on the shin just below the right knee.
- Keep the left leg straight and on the ground.
- Inhale deeply, filling the lungs as much as possible.
- Exhaling, raise the head and shoulders off the ground and without straining, bring the right knee to the nose.
- Remain in the final position for a few seconds. While slowly inhaling, return to the base position. Relax the body.
- Repeat 3 times with the right leg and then 3 times with the left leg.
Ensure that the straight leg remains in contact with the ground. It is important to start with the right leg because it presses the ascending colon directly. Follow with the left leg which presses the descending colon directly.
Stage 2 : Remain in the starting position.
- Bend both knees and bring the thighs to the chest. Interlock the fingers and clasp the hands on the shin bone just below the knees.
- Inhale deeply.
- Exhaling, raise the head and shoulders and try to place the nose in the space·between the two knees.
- Hold the raised position for a few seconds, counting mentally.
- Slowly lower the head, shoulders and legs while inhaling. Practise this 3 times.
Benefits of doing Leg Lock Pose In Yoga (Supta Pawanmuktasana)
- It strengthens the lower back muscles and loosens the spinal vertebrae.
- It massages the abdomen and the digestive organs and is therefore very effective in removing wind and constipation.
- By massaging the pelvic muscles and reproductive organs, it is also useful for impotence, sterility and menstrual problems.
Precautions of Leg Lock Pose In Yoga (Supta Pawanmuktasana)
- Not to be performed by persons suffering from high blood pressure.
- Not to be performed by people suffering from serious back conditions such as sciatica and slipped disc.