Supta Pawanmuktasana (leg lock pose) is a part of the Pawanmuktasana series 2 (Digestive / abdominal group ) mentioned in “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on the digestive system. It also eliminates energy blockages in the abdominal area.
How to do Leg Lock Pose In Yoga – Supta Pawanmuktasana
Stage I :
- Lie in the starting position and relax.
- Bend the right knee and bring the thigh to the chest. Interlock the fingers and clasp the hands on the shin just below the right knee.
- Keep the left leg straight and on the ground.
- Inhale deeply, filling the lungs as much as possible.
- Exhaling, raise the head and shoulders off the ground and without straining, bring the right knee to the nose.
- Remain in the final position for a few seconds. While slowly inhaling, return to the base position. Relax the body.
- Repeat 3 times with the right leg and then 3 times with the left leg.
Ensure that the straight leg remains in contact with the ground. It is important to start with the right leg because it presses the ascending colon directly. Follow with the left leg which presses the descending colon directly.
Stage 2 : Remain in the starting position.
- Bend both knees and bring the thighs to the chest. Interlock the fingers and clasp the hands on the shin bone just below the knees.
- Inhale deeply.
- Exhaling, raise the head and shoulders and try to place the nose in the space·between the two knees.
- Hold the raised position for a few seconds, counting mentally.
- Slowly lower the head, shoulders and legs while inhaling. Practise this 3 times.
Benefits of doing Leg Lock Pose In Yoga – Supta Pawanmuktasana:
- It strengthens the lower back muscles and loosens the spinal vertebrae.
- It massages the abdomen and the digestive organs and is therefore very effective in removing wind and constipation.
- By massaging the pelvic muscles and reproductive organs, it is also useful for impotence, sterility and menstrual problems.
Precautions of Leg Lock Pose In Yoga – Supta Pawanmuktasana:
- Not to be performed by persons suffering from high blood pressure.
- Not to be performed by people suffering from serious back conditions such as sciatica and slipped disc.
Pawanmuktasana Part II – Digestive / Abdominal Poses in YogaLeg Lock Pose In Yoga - Supta Pawanmuktasana is a part of the Pawanmuktasana Series II. The series corresponds to the Digestive/Abdominal poses in Yoga. They are a group of asanas concerned specifically with strengthening the digestive system. This is the second part of the Pawanmuktasana Series 1,2,3. These are excellent for people with indigestion, constipation, acidity, excess wind or gas, lack of appetite, diabetes, disorders of the reproductive systems, and varicose veins. The digestive and abdominal poses (pawanmuktasana – 2) also help in eliminating energy blockages in the abdominal area. The sequence for Digestive and Abdominal Poses in Yoga – Pawanmuktasana Part 2 is as important as it is form any other yoga poses or technique. The following is the recommended sequence.
- Raised Legs Pose – Padotthanasana
- Leg rotation – Padchakrasana
- Cycling in yoga – Pada Sanchalanasana
- Leg lock pose – Supta pawanmuktasana
- Rocking and rolling in yoga – Jhulana Lurhakanasana
- Sleeping abdominal stretch pose – Supta Udarakarshanasana
- Universal spinal twist – Shava Udarakarshanasana
- Boat pose – Naukasana
We hope you found this article on Leg Lock Pose In Yoga - Supta Pawanmuktasana useful. This is intended to give you a detailed information on Leg Lock Pose In Yoga - Supta Pawanmuktasana, how to do Leg Lock Pose In Yoga - Supta Pawanmuktasana, including its benefits, and precautions.