Half Butterfly pose in yoga also known as Ardha Titali Asana is a part of the Pawanmuktasana series 1 ( Antirheumatic yoga poses) mentioned in “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha” by Swami Satyananda Saraswati that focuses on hip opening. It is a very simple asana, usually practiced at the starting to easily get into more complex asanas.
How To Do Half Butterfly Pose – Ardha Titali Asana
- Sit in the base position with the legs outstretched and the feet together. Place the hands beside and slightly behind the buttocks.
- Lean back a little, using the arms to support the back. Keep the spine straight.
- Bend the right leg and place the right foot comfortably on the left thigh.
- Place the right hand on top of the bent right knee.
- Hold the toes of the right foot with the left hand.
- Inhale as you gently move the right knee up towards the chest.
- Exhale as you gently push the knee down and try to touch the knee to the floor.
- The trunk should not move.
- Do not force this movement in any way.
- The leg muscles should be passive, the movement being achieved by the exertion of the right arm.
- Slowly practise 10 up and down movements.
- Repeat with the same practice with the opposite leg.
Breathing pattern while doing Half Butterfly Pose – Ardha Titali Asana
- Inhale when raising the knee up.
- Exhale when pushing the knee down.
Benefits of Half Butterfly Pose – Ardha Titali Asana
- Prepares you for padmasana (lotus pose).
- Stretches inner thighs and knees.
- Aids digestion and proper bowel movement.
- Loosens up hip and knee joint.
- Helps in preparing for delivery.
- Gently straighten the leg after completing the practice.
- Should not practice if suffering from knee and groin injury.
Antirheumatic Yoga Poses – Pawanmuktasana Part 1Half Butterfly Pose - Ardha Titali Asana is a part of the Pawanmuktasana Series I. This group of Yoga poses is also known as the antirheumatic poses. Pawanmuktasana series part 1 are a group of poses concerned with loosening up the joints of the body. These poses are excellent for those debilitated by rheumatism, arthritis, high blood pressure, heart problems, or other ailments where vigorous physical exercise is not advised. Pawanmuktasana parts 1,2,3 in Yoga is one of the most important groups of yoga poses or yoga asanas that have a very profound effect on the human body and mind and is thus a most useful tool for the yogic management of various disorders and maintenance of health. Half Butterfly Pose - Ardha Titali Asana is one of the poses in the full sequence (list below)
The sequence and all Antirheumatic Yoga poses – Pawanmuktasana part 1
- Padanguli Naman (Toe bending)
- Goolf Naman (Ankle bending)
- Goolf Chakra (Ankle rotation)
- Goolf Ghoornan (Ankle crank)
- Janu Naman (Knee bending)
- Janu Chakra (Knee Crank)
- Ardha Titali Asana (Half Butterfly pose)
- Shroni Chakra (Hip rotation)
- Poorna Titali Asana (Full butterfly yoga pose)
- Mushtika Bandhana (Hand Clenching)
- Manibandha naman (Wrist bending)
- Manibandha Chakra (Wrist joint rotation)
- Kehuni Naman (Elbow bending)
- Kehuni Chakra (Elbow rotation)
- Skandha Chakra (Shoulder socket rotation)
- Greeva Sanchalana (Neck movements)
We hope you found this article on Half Butterfly Pose - Ardha Titali Asana useful. This is intended to give you a detailed information on Half Butterfly Pose - Ardha Titali Asana, how to do Half Butterfly Pose - Ardha Titali Asana, including its benefits, and precautions.