Kati chakrasana in yoga also known as the waist rotating pose is a standing pose mentioned in the series Standing Asanas mentioned in the book “Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha”. It focuses on stretching and strengthening the muscles. In this article, we will easily and comprehensively learn how to do Kati Chakrasana - Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga, benefits of Kati Chakrasana - Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga, precautions, and a note for practitioners.
How to do Kati Chakrasana – Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- Stand with the feet about shoulder width apart and the arms by the sides.
- Inhale, raise the arms to shoulder level.
- Exhale, twist the body to the right. Bring the left hand to the right shoulder and wrap the right arm around the back, bringing the right hand around the left side of the waist.
- Look over the right shoulder as far as is comfortable. Keep the back of the neck straight and imagine the top of the spine is the fixed point around which the head turns. Hold for two seconds, accentuate the twist, gently stretching the abdomen.
- Inhale, return to the starting position.
- Exhale, repeat on the other side to complete one round. Keep the feet firmly on the ground while twisting.
- Relax the arms and back as much as possible throughout the practice. Do not strain. The movement should be relaxed and spontaneous.
- Perform the rotation smoothly a few times, without jerking or stiffness.
Breathing pattern while doing Kati Chakrasana – Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- Inhale raising the arms.
- Exhale twisting to the side.
- Inhale returning to the centre.
- Exhale while releasing the posture.
Benefits of doing Kati Chakrasana – Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- This asana tones the neck, shoulders, waist, back and hips.
- It is useful for correcting back stiffness and postural problems.
- The relaxation and twisting movement induces a feeling of lightness and may be used to relieve physical and mental tension at any time during the day.
Precautions of doing Kati Chakrasana – Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- Avoid if suffering from spinal cord injury or disorders
- Avoid in presence of hernia
- Avoid during pregnancy or abdominal disorders
- This asana may be performed in a more dynamic way by swinging rhythmically with the arms, without synchronizing the movements with the breath.
Standing Asana SeriesKati Chakrasana - Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga is a part of the standing asana series. Standing asanas or standing yoga poses are the asanas that have a standing position as the starting position. Standing asanas are an important part of all yoga sequences. This series of standing asanas include beginners asanas focusing on stretching and strengthening the back, shoulders, and leg muscles.
The following 14 yoga asanas or yoga poses are a part of the standing asanas series.
- Bandha Hasta Uttanasana – Locked Hand Raising Pose In Yoga
- Akarna Dhanurasana – Bow And Arrow PoseIn Yoga
- Tadasana – Palm Tree Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Tadasana – Swaying Palm Tree Pose In Yoga
- Kati Chakrasana – Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- Tiryaka Kati Chakrasana – Swaying Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga
- Meru Prishthasana – Spine And Back Pose In Yoga
- Uttanasana – Squat And Rise Pose In Yoga
- Druta Utkatasana – Dynamic Energy Pose In Yoga
- Samakonasana – Right Angle Pose In Yoga
- Dwikonasana – Double Angle Pose In Yoga
- Trikonasana – Triangle Pose In Yoga
- Utthita Lolasana – Swinging While Standing Pose In Yoga
- Dolasana – Pendulum Pose In Yoga
We hope that through this article you were able to understand how to do the Kati Chakrasana - Waist Rotating Pose In Yoga easily, its benefits, and precautions.