Dynamic Spinal Twist (Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana) is a pose in which the body is twisted in a spiral motion. It helps to improve the flexibility of the spine and the muscles around it.
|English Name||Dynamic Spinal Twist|
|Sanskrit Name||Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana|
|Meaning||In Sanskrit, “Gatyatmak” means dynamic, “Meru” means mountain, “Vakra” means spiral, and “Asana” means pose.|
|Body Part||Spine, Abdomen|
|Category||Pawanmuktasana Series 3|
|Category (English)||Energy Block poses|
|Benefits||This asana helps improve digestion, relieves back pain, and stimulates the abdominal organs.|
How to do Dynamic Spinal Twist In Yoga – Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana
- Sit on the floor with both legs outstretched. Separate the legs as far apart as comfortable. Do not allow the knees to bend.
- Stretch the arms sideways at shoulder level.
- Keeping the arms straight, exhale as you twist to the left and bring the right hand down towards the left big toe.
- Stretch the straight left arm behind the back as the trunk twists to the left. Keep both arms in one straight line. Turn the head to the left and gaze at the left outstretched hand.
- Inhale as you come back to the center.
- Exhale as you twist in the opposite direction and bring the left hand down towards the right big toe. Stretch the straight right arm behind the back. Turn the head to the right and gaze at the right outstretched hand.
- This is one round. Practice a few rounds.
- Start slowly and then gradually increase the speed.
Breathing pattern while doing Dynamic Spinal Twist In Yoga – Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana
- To give maximum flexion of the spine: exhale when twisting and inhale when returning to the centre.
Benefits of Dynamic Spinal Twist (Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana)
- Improved spinal flexibility: This asana involves a spiral twisting motion that helps to improve the flexibility of the spine, making it more supple and resilient.
- Strengthened back muscles: Regular practice of this asana can help to strengthen the muscles of the back, including the erector spinae, which support the spine and help to maintain good posture.
- Improved digestion: The twisting motion of Gatyatmak Meru Vakrasana can help to stimulate the digestive organs, promoting better digestion and regularity.
- Lowers back pain: This asana can help to relieve tension and pain in the lower back, making it a beneficial pose for those who suffer from back pain.
Precaution: People with back conditions should avoid this asana.